One of the best leopard pictures I've ever taken

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score

Recently back from a vacation in South Africa. My favorite animal to photograph is the leopard and I usually only get a blurred shot of their hind end. Difficult animal for me to get a real good shot of. Just thought I'd share what I consider to be an excellent picture of one.

millstreaminn":281auv1x said:

Recently back from a vacation in South Africa. My favorite animal to photograph is the leopard and I usually only get a blurred shot of their hind end. Difficult animal for me to get a real good shot of. Just thought I'd share what I consider to be an excellent picture of one.

May I ask if you have a moment to briefly mention the areas you visited? Did you get over into Botswana or Namibia?

Ron,

I've been to Tanzania several times (Ngorongoro, Serengeti, Tarangire, Selous). Was in Namibia 3 years ago, did a self drive that ended up in Etosha National Park. Namibia is a beautiful country. Almost went to Botswana last year but changed my mind at the last minute. I like to rent my own vehicle and self drive and Botswana is not very self drive friendly. I will get there sometime, I would love to see the Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park.

This leopard picture was taken last week in Kruger National Park, South Africa. I've been to Kruger several times and have explored the park from top to bottom. I recall you talking about game hunting in Africa. All of my trips have been for photography.

millstreaminn":1evx16mn said:
Ron,

I've been to Tanzania several times (Ngorongoro, Serengeti, Tarangire, Selous). Was in Namibia 3 years ago, did a self drive that ended up in Etosha National Park. Namibia is a beautiful country. Almost went to Botswana last year but changed my mind at the last minute. I like to rent my own vehicle and self drive and Botswana is not very self drive friendly. I will get there sometime, I would love to see the Okavango Delta and Chobe National Park.

This leopard picture was taken last week in Kruger National Park, South Africa. I've been to Kruger several times and have explored the park from top to bottom. I recall you talking about game hunting in Africa. All of my trips have been for photography.

Thank you. In my thread about needing 1000 years. No place exemplifies that more than Africa.

What was the distance between you and the leopard? Fantastic photograph!

Magnificent photo! About how many hours do you reckon you have invested in that photo? (Meaning with camera in hand)

I thought I would see a pic of a tank.

Oh well...........

LOL............

bball":3b233tnb said:

About 20 feet. I was driving down the road and passed the leopard without seeing him (happens all the time I'm sure). About 50 more feet down the road a bushbuck was alarm calling (kinda sounds like a dogs bark) and looking back in the direction I just came from. I stopped, backed up and there the leopard stood in the brush along the road.

Jogeephus":2qgsujme said:
Magnificent photo! About how many hours do you reckon you have invested in that photo? (Meaning with camera in hand)

Hey Jo,

On this particular trip I spent 20 days in the park with an average of 12 hours per day on game drives, so about 240 hours "work" for this pic... :shock:

This is another picture of the same leopard taken right after the good picture. Leopards (unlike lions who will lay right in the road and make you drive around them- seriously) only stick around for less than a minute when you spot them. I have lots of pictures of leopards walking away from me exactly like this one.

slick4591":3uspsufe said:
Wonderful picture! I think I would have needed a very long lens to have taken that one.

Nope. About 20 feet. I take 2 bridge cameras, a Nikon Coolpix (used to photograph this leopard) and a Fujifilm that I used to take pictures of birds. Nice to carry 2 camera in case one breaks. I have a DSLR camera, I just lack the ability to use it effectively, so I leave it home.

millstreaminn":2n9w7u68 said:
bball":2n9w7u68 said:

About 20 feet. I was driving down the road and passed the leopard without seeing him (happens all the time I'm sure). About 50 more feet down the road a bushbuck was alarm calling (kinda sounds like a dogs bark) and looking back in the direction I just came from. I stopped, backed up and there the leopard stood in the brush along the road.

Saw two leopards in daytime during my visits to Africa. A magnificent animal.

Bright Raven":g0fqzt4o said:
millstreaminn":g0fqzt4o said:
bball":g0fqzt4o said:

Saw two leopards in daytime during my visits to Africa. A magnificent animal.

I saw 5 different ones in my 20 days there. There are more leopards than lions and cheetah combined in the park, but the leopards are the hardest to spot.

Latest posts