One of our Gophers

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Don't know how many people have ever seen one of these but I have always been intrigued by them. They are relatives of sea turtles and some say that were left on land when the oceans receded. (Don't know if latter is true but it would explain their flipper-like front feet.) This one is a male and he weighs about 8 pounds. I've named him "Herbie" since I can't figure out where to put the ear tag.:lol:

Herbie strolls through one of my lush hayfields.
Gopher2.jpg

Closeup of his feet. (Before the flogging begins, let it be known -I turned him back over) The protusion on the front of his shield is what he fights with.

feet.jpg

Here's a link if you are interested.

http://www.amelianow.com/spring07-turtle.htm

thats pretty neat. thanks for sharing. we've got a lot of turtles out here at our ponds, not very big though (6 - 8 inches front to back). randomly we'll see a pretty good sized one (12+ inches front to back). I always thought turtles were kind of neat. Last week when i was in Hawaii, i went scuba diving and we saw a young sea turtle. I didnt think he was small, or young, but our guide said it was really young. It was pretty amazing seeing a turtle swimming beside and above me.

he should make a good-size pot of stew if times get too hard
(yes i've really had it before)

FlaAngus":l8aang9e said:
he should make a good-size pot of stew if times get too hard
(yes i've really had it before)

I used to work with a guy who ate them all the time. I just couldn't do it. Now soft shells or snapping turtles, no problem. I just got a soft spot for these critters. But I hear they are good.

Latest posts