One of my best decisions ever!

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
Was launching my little 13' Boston Whaler at 7:55 am., 20 degrees out and whalin' 12 miles across the Sound to the Seahawks Parade.

Parked downtown at the marina for free, and the party was on!

700,000-1million people attended.

No violence, fires, gun shots, looting, car tipping etc.

The Washington State Ferries, hold 2500 passengers each and were leaving people on the dock!

Looking out East from the stadium the roads were total gridlock!

All we had to do was walk back to the Whaler grab a 6-pack, bundle up real good and we were home in 45 min.

Not to mention we looked like an Alaskan crab boat the way we were iced up.

And to top it off Walter Jones H.O.F. # 71 signed my ball cap :banana: :banana:

That would have been a cold ride across the sound yesterday. There was supposed to be a bit of a breeze too. Was the ride a little rough? I have been out on the sound on lots of cold rough days so that wouldn't bother me. But as much as I hate crowds I don't believe I would have taken that boat ride.

Jogeephus":rij7ibrw said:
I bet you could have made a few bucks carrying some passengers.

It takes a certain mentality to cross the sound in a 13 foot Whaler in February. There just isn't that many crazy people out there.

It took a little longer yesterday, about 45 min.

I've had a 13' or 17' Whaler since 1981 they can handle alot for their size. This one has a 40 hp Mercury that I bought new 10 years ago. Over and back on less than 3 gal. I've done it for 30 plus years

It was a little lumpy due to the tide and capping a little, gusts to 17. We used to play (Whale is what we call it) in much worse.

As were getting in the boat my buddy of 40 years say's "when are we going to grow up?" Maybe when I sell the Whaler I said "I don't see that happening!"

Hook":3hza89ru said:
Whaler makes a great boat. They can take more than the operator can, but that doesn't make them invincible.

I agree. And the middle of the Puget Sound in February wouldn't be a nice place to take a swim. In the summer there are lots of other boats out there, but yesterday I bet you pretty much had the place to yourself.

If you don't mind a wet bumpy ride their great.

Hook, I totally respect the saltchuck, good decisions need to made at all times. There are no "timeouts".

A whole lot easier and less clean up than launching our 24 ft Skagit Orca.

Dave almost had it to ourselves, a 22' Grady White picked up 4 young adults from the marina as we were leaving.

I was thinking parking was going to be tight, I can always slip the little Whaler in behind the Native float or in with the work skiffs.

Do you know how many people would have wanted to go in heated luxury. I had to weed them out.

Named'em Tamed'em":2x0or98x said:
It took a little longer yesterday, about 45 min.

I've had a 13' or 17' Whaler since 1981 they can handle alot for their size. This one has a 40 hp Mercury that I bought new 10 years ago. Over and back on less than 3 gal. I've done it for 30 plus years

It was a little lumpy due to the tide and capping a little, gusts to 17. We used to play (Whale is what we call it) in much worse.

As were getting in the boat my buddy of 40 years say's "when are we going to grow up?" Maybe when I sell the Whaler I said "I don't see that happening!"
As long as it's got a merc you'll make it. You need a 250 pro xs to speed the trip up :lol2:.

Dave":2jnns1px said:
Jogeephus":2jnns1px said:
I bet you could have made a few bucks carrying some passengers.

It takes a certain mentality to cross the sound in a 13 foot Whaler in February. There just isn't that many crazy people out there.

Don't ever under estimate the soundness of Seattle.....;)

Latest posts