One more question..

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
OK so after reading another thread about pigmentation of am left with more question about skin color and pigmentation...

Pb Red Gelbvieh Bull (more tan than red) X Pb reg. Holstein = Holstein looking heifer with a black tongue..

BTW Holsteins tongues are pink and so are red Gelbviehs.. :?

So where did the black tongue come from ?

Maybe it is like we say in Mn ~ "If you shake the tree hard enough, you might be surprised what will fall out of it." :nod: :lol2: ;-)

hillsdown":1bltk42p said:
OK so after reading another thread about pigmentation of am left with more question about skin color and pigmentation...

Pb Red Gelbvieh Bull (more tan than red) X Pb reg. Holstein = Holstein looking heifer with a black tongue..

I understand that the Gelbveih breed can also carry the spotting gene (which is recessive to solid color). Learned this from a neighbour who also raises Gelbveih. So from you description, if you are sure that the calf was sired by the Gelbveih bull, this bull is

ee (red) Dd (hetero dilute) and Ss (hetero solid).

Your Holstien cow is

EE/Ee (homo or hetero Black) dd(non dilute) and ss (homo spotted)

Your calf is

Ee (hetero black) dd (non dilute) and ss (homo spotted)

I have never studied cattle tongues (at least as far as color goes) but I am guessing that her tongue is one part of her that isn't white spotted.

Originally Gelbvieh all carried a diluter gene, thus the name. Gelbvieh=Yellow Cow

angie":1rar8ajs said:
Maybe it is like we say in Mn ~ "If you shake the tree hard enough, you might be surprised what will fall out of it." :nod: :lol2: ;-)

Yea, oof-dah. Ya like 'em thick, right? Do you knock them on the head like we thump watermelons? :tiphat:

hillsdown":1rar8ajs said:

Is it a black tongue or a hairy black tongue? You have to look real close. Get oof-dah, he'll do it.

Or maybe you mistakenly imported some Chiana blood?

BeefmasterB":pn3raodf said:
angie":pn3raodf said:
Yea, oof-dah. Ya like 'em thick, right? Do you knock them on the head like we thump watermelons?
Hmmm.... I think its been said that its not so much what you "like", as it is what grows well in your environment. Up here in da nort ~ "thick" is whats functional.

You thump watermelons? Up here we just use the phone to communicate. ;-)