One more picture

Help Support CattleToday:

txshowmom

Reaction score
What do you think of this little Angus cow. She has produced several champions.
Picture013.jpg

Show mom, glad to see you finally crawled out of your hole and decided to share some pictures.

The first thing that comes to my mind is...where in the holy hell is all that feed you are supposedly buying going to?????

The least you could a done was post a couple a them show critters first. Then posted these 2 pics and fed us a line like they just both dropped 100 lb calves
not a week ago and are such wet cows that nothing you feed them puts the weight back on till you wean and then they look like butterballs.
Or something to that effect.

Can we see a pic of one of them there high dollar bulls now? We're all waiting real polite like.

Angus Cattle Shower":3cr67igj said:
You can tell that she has produced many champions if they look anything her.

Please enlighten me as to how you ascertained that opinion.

Just curious since I was agreeing with one of the above posts that she could use a little more feed depending on her current situation and that she is not very deep. JMHO

I'll get you guys some pictures of good cattle real soon. We went to the ranch that is about 200 miles from the house last week to check on these cattle and I took a few pictures and yes they are looking a little poor. We went to pick them up and bring them home. The red one on the other post is a 3/4 Gelbvieh and she is fixing to drop her 2nd calf. I will try to post a picture of the Angus cows last years calf that is being shown right now. She is a really cool calf. This little cow believe it or not was just flushed and we got 18 good eggs. We have sold 4 calves out of her and got 5000 minimum for them! She sure aint much to look at but man does she throw a nice calf.

Ahhh, I see, a ringer!! I've seen those types before. We've got several in the herd that looked good as heifers but after they drop that first calf they don't look too impressive for the rest of their lives. Can't hardly get rid of them though since they raise some fine calves. I guess those cows just don't look as good because they're putting all of their energy into their calf, which is fine by me as long as they're not too sickly looking.

Gosh - you guys are kind of hard on ol' showmom. If I hadn't looked at the picture and only read the post, I would assume it was a picture of a cow with a BCS of 3 or a low 4.

Besides - she's an angus - all of the fat is in the muscle, not around it.

Yum Yum :D

My post was not meant to be hard on her. Looking back I guess considering the time of year, there are probably quite a few out there like hers, as I said, we have a few of our own. Not saying she's doing anything wrong, as I understand that there is always gonna be a few in the herd that are not in tip top shape.

"mom" --- I'll agree that the Angus cow pictured doesn't look like much, but I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that she could raise a dandy calf. I've got just such a cow, albeit not an Angus. Mine is the one that I hope is way off in the woods whenever somebody comes to visit, she's that unimpressive. But like clockwork she gives me a calf about every 11 months and it is always a very good one -- she gives all she's got to her calf. She's a real small cow (probably just barely 1,000 pounds) and I really wish all of my cows could match her performancel. Out of all the cows in my humble little herd, as a percentage of her body weight, she easily raises the heaviest calf.

We've got a sorry looking cow like that too. We probably all do. But pretty is as pretty does, she raises a dandy steer and one of her daughters is getting ready to drop her fourth calf and her heifer from last year was retained as a replacement.

dun

Arnold Ziffle":17rl5iyc said:
"mom" --- I'll agree that the Angus cow pictured doesn't look like much, but I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that she could raise a dandy calf. I've got just such a cow, albeit not an Angus. Mine is the one that I hope is way off in the woods whenever somebody comes to visit, she's that unimpressive. But like clockwork she gives me a calf about every 11 months and it is always a very good one -- she gives all she's got to her calf. She's a real small cow (probably just barely 1,000 pounds) and I really wish all of my cows could match her performancel. Out of all the cows in my humble little herd, as a percentage of her body weight, she easily raises the heaviest calf.

az

i have one like that too.. maybe mine looks a little better than yours :lol: i dont wish she was hiding when visitors come... and she probably only weighs 800 or so... but last year her calf weighed 585 after any shrinkage he may have had thru the sale barn. he was about 8 months old.. best weaning percentage on my place. almost too good to believe. i dont think she is doing as well this year though, but her calf this year is a heifer.. last year it was a bull.

jt

This was JAC (Just A Cow) last February. She doesn;t look as good this year. But she only has to hold out to she calves and we wean it, cause ol JAC is headed down the road.

jac1.jpg

dun

txshowmom":i8gd1162 said:
I'll get you guys some pictures of good cattle real soon. We went to the ranch that is about 200 miles from the house last week to check on these cattle and I took a few pictures and yes they are looking a little poor. We went to pick them up and bring them home. The red one on the other post is a 3/4 Gelbvieh and she is fixing to drop her 2nd calf. I will try to post a picture of the Angus cows last years calf that is being shown right now. She is a really cool calf. This little cow believe it or not was just flushed and we got 18 good eggs. We have sold 4 calves out of her and got 5000 minimum for them! She sure aint much to look at but man does she throw a nice calf.

Just as a curiosity point, how old is the black cow?

dun

Jake":1ouwaygl said:
I think I'd rather have JAC than showmom's anyday...

But you've got to remember that JAC has been pampered. All of the grass she could want

dun

txshowmom":2w2n9rtq said:
TXshowmoon I hate to run down another mans cattle so I wont. I dont mind running down somebodys pictures though. No I probably cant do better but I have sense enough to realize that and not try. Would help out a lot if you spent some of that big money on some picturetaking lessons....dont take a picture of black stocvk in the shade or next to more blacks!!!
And if I had a cow that had given me 4 calves at a minimum of 5000 dollars, i sure as hell wouldnt let her go hungry 200 miles from home. The way my math skills work thats at least 20,000 dollars. Why is she doing without groceries 200 miles from home if she contributes that much value to your operation???? Are you for real or did I fall for some kind of joke???

dun":1bm81445 said:
This was JAC (Just A Cow) last February. She doesn;t look as good this year. But she only has to hold out to she calves and we wean it, cause ol JAC is headed down the road.

jac1.jpg

dun

Dun this cow is black.............what are you doing with a black cow?

But anyway fine looking cow, nice deep body and looks like a nice well attached udder. Looks like the calm type too.

cherokeeruby":30hd3ma6 said:
Dun this cow is black.............what are you doing with a black cow?

But anyway fine looking cow, nice deep body and looks like a nice well attached udder. Looks like the calm type too.

We have three, her, her daughter and granny, I guess 4 is more accurate, we also have her black baldy daughter that we're keeping as a replacement.
I far prefer reds (but that's as much to be contrary as anything else) but a good producing cow is a good producing cow even if it's pink with purple spots.

dun

tapeworm":2y5sp8zo said:
txshowmom":2y5sp8zo said:
TXshowmoon I hate to run down another mans cattle so I wont. I dont mind running down somebodys pictures though. No I probably cant do better but I have sense enough to realize that and not try. Would help out a lot if you spent some of that big money on some picturetaking lessons....dont take a picture of black stocvk in the shade or next to more blacks!!!
And if I had a cow that had given me 4 calves at a minimum of 5000 dollars, i sure as hell wouldnt let her go hungry 200 miles from home. The way my math skills work thats at least 20,000 dollars. Why is she doing without groceries 200 miles from home if she contributes that much value to your operation???? Are you for real or did I fall for some kind of joke???

No you did not fall for some kind of joke. We moved those cattle over there this summer when there was plenty of grass. We usually bring them back home this time of year so we can feed them through the winter. They got a little poor this year but they'll bounce right back. We don't like to keep our herd sloppy fat. The only cattle that are on full feed are the cattle that are for sale, on the show string, or going to market. The rest of the cattle have to make it on protien supplemnets, dead grass and hay.