One last topline debate after the last, last topline debate

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":1bcgwxzk said:
Now THOSE are some REAL Simmies!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mac, I guess the difference is between commercial beef production and registered/seedstock production. I completely agree with you in terms of a BEEF production herd, I guess a terminal system, I dont give a ---- what the cow looks like as long as she raises a weans a heavy calf, breeds back on time and doesnt take too much food to do that. When she stops being able to do that is when she becomes hamburger. But with the registered/seedstock system, I personally believe not every animal should be allowed to produce animals that will be kept for breeding, and that is where the structure comes into play.

Sorry I'm struggling to put that into words properly. Havent been awake all that long.
commercial producers like me, relie on breeders that put alot of imphasis on putting a quality animal together.

3waycross":3a8zhpan said:
angusbreederms":3a8zhpan said:
This is what I look for in a top line...

Folks I think we have a winner. That is STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I liked the sims a bit more. I guess it because of my up bring. It brought back some memories from way back.

The cows in the Frank Rodgers dispersal catalog are probably the largest collection of straight toplines I've seen in pictures. Just from the way that old gentleman wrote his statements about every animal in knowledgable terms makes me to believe that he is pretty savvy.

Flora3.jpg

Born 27th Oct 1997 This is the first highland cow that I brought, along with her daughter. She is what I use as a measure for the other highlanders that I buy. The main problem with her is her udder it drops down a bit in the rear but nothing that I am overly worried about.

Hewie1.jpg

Herd bull. When looking for a herd bull I tried to find a bull as close to the breed standards as possible. I think I came pretty darn close with him.

Is that what a highland summer coat looks like? I've never seen one in the height of summer and even then I doubt those in Scotland will be that slick.

I'd like to see more photos of the bull, looks a real impressive specimen. Have you got other photoso your cattle in their summer coats?

Rear Shot
Highland_Cattle_22_.JPG

Head On
Highland_Cattle_9_.JPG

Side On 1
Highland_Cattle_4_.JPG

Side On 2
Highland_Cattle.JPG

In these photos he wouldn't stand still for me so are not the best shots of him. In the first photo that I posted he was 1000kgs, in the latest photos weight would be around 950kg & is gaining weight again

2 Calves 1 purebred & 1 crossbred
Highland_Cattle_20.jpg

Some of the herd
Highland_Cattle_29.jpg

I am sorry for hijacking the thread
Merry Christmas everyone :clap: :clap: :tiphat: :tiphat: :wave: :wave:

Latest posts