One huge utter

Help Support CattleToday:

hersh

Reaction score
One of the tits on my heifer is huge. She is close to birthing for the first time. the whole bag in that quad is tight. The rest of the tits look like they have dripped and the utter has bagged but this one is massive. I felt around on it and didnt seem sore. should this be a vet call? Ive asked around here but nobody feels its serious. Does the utter bag equally?

If some of the quarters of her "udder" have dripped any they may have lost enough milk to have just relieved the pressure and that one quarter may not have. If it isn;t how or sensitive it shouldn;t be anythign to worry about. After she calves and the calf starts to nurse it will probably get sucked down so the whole udder is even.

i only see 1 issue right now.she has a big teat.so id check that teat after she calves.an milk it out all the way.an see if the teat goes down.if it dont.that means she may just a big teat.

I've got one like that too. Same tit every year. After she calves and the calf pulls down the other three quarters, put her in the chute and milk her if the tit is too big for the calf to suck. If the calf is able to suck that quarter, then don't do anything. If that quarter doesn't get milked, you may end up with mastitis.

Thanks guys. Its nerve racking to have these responsibilities. Lack of experience only amplifies it. So no worries now, wait and watch. Good.

TexasSimmentals":c59cirlg said:
I had also heard of something called "cake" ?????????????
cake is when the udder swells up an gets real tight.but a big teat isnt assoc with cake in the udder.an cake will break lose sooner or later an the bagg get nice an soft.

I had one first calf heifer that had a huge udder the day after calving - teats were cone shaped, she looked like she was going to explode! I was very concerned. A knowledgeable neighbor said that as long as she didn't seem to be in pain to let it go a day or so and see what happens.

Well the next morning she was back to a normal cow and the calf looked like he had had a lot of milk! Neighbor says that in general let nature take its course. To often we are so eager to help or do something that we barge in to early and maybe cause more problems than we solve.

Latest posts