One horse

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a horse for the grandkids. Before when we had horses we always had more than one. I have heard that a single horse won't be happy but I've also heard it said that a single horse is more friendly and eager to please. If we put it with the cattle it is not easilly accessable to the the grand children. What to do? Do we need to buy another? Thanks for the advice.

farmguy":8loqx33q said:
I am looking to buy a horse for the grandkids. Before when we had horses we always had more than one. I have heard that a single horse won't be happy but I've also heard it said that a single horse is more friendly and eager to please. If we put it with the cattle it is not easilly accessable to the the grand children. What to do? Do we need to buy another? Thanks for the advice.

One horse works.

Two works as well.

Put them with the cows?

Some folks do - but often it is a wreck waiting for a place to happen - not recommended

Bez+

Everyone and everything needs something to bond with. You might find this to be crazy, but have you thought about getting a goat to hang out with the horse? It works...

grannysoo":3vly3kiq said:
Everyone and everything needs something to bond with. You might find this to be crazy, but have you thought about getting a goat to hang out with the horse? It works...
Yes, get a goat to put in with it. I had a pygmy goat in with a horse after the rest got sold, and it worked out really well.

farmguy":dcap2eht said:
I have heard that a single horse won't be happy but I've also heard it said that a single horse is more friendly and eager to please. If we put it with the cattle it is not easilly accessable to the the grand children. What to do? Do we need to buy another? Thanks for the advice.

No, you don't need to buy another horse. A single horse will be just fine by itself, but I would not put it with the cattle because that is a wreck waiting to happen, depending on the nature of the horse. It is my personal opinion that too many people have too many unbased opionions on how animals may or may not respond to being alone, as well as spending way too much time overthinking too many things. Your whole reason for buying a horse is for your grandkids and, assuming your grandkids are as enthusiatic(sp?) as you are, it will work out just fine.

farmguy":2dlfwk29 said:

My horse lives with cattle, no problems. But, I have had friends over with horses that wouldn't be able to do that. From what I can tell, some can and some just can't and as others have said here, could be a real train wreck. You say the horse would be inaccessible to the grandkids if it did live with the cows, could you have it in with the cows and then bring it up when the kids were around?

Latest posts