One for Viki the Vet

Help Support CattleToday:

Tman

Reaction score
Viki,

I am afraid that this is an obvios question but I have to ask. Do bovine fetuses release a bovine form of HGH through the placenta into the mothers bloodstream which is then spilled into the urine ?

HGH being human gonadotrophic hormone or human growth hormone??

There is hormonal detection of pregnancy available in cattle as early as 21 days post breeding in the milk, (via progesterone detection) so I have to say yes, although I don't quite understand your question. Sorry, a lot of hours and not enough sleep....

V

at a cost of about 3 x what it costs me to arm them?

It would only work at certain times if it worked, before the fetus takes over maintainance of the pregnancy at about 4 months...and since I don't do humans, I don't know exactly which hormone they test for, so it might not work then!

Some one tried the home pregnancy test on some cows, don't recall who. Results were erratic. I don't think she got any false positives but there were false negatives.

dun

Actually, I was wondering about preg checking. I have access to a sundry of laboratory equipments and supplies and was thinking of timkering with a test. As I mentioned I felt the question was a bit obvious HGH "Human Gonadotropin Hormone" would imply humans only, but then again we have a habit of discounting other members of the mammalian family.

I know human preg testing works on an agglutenation process which binds to the HGH and changes the refractive index of the binder thus giving off a color change or a visible plus symbol, etc.

Just thought it might be really cheap to produce a test for bovines in my free time and a little fun.

Sorry to hear they are running you so hard and thank you for taking the time to answer. :D

dun":2eg8ti2g said:
Some one tried the home pregnancy test on some cows, don't recall who. Results were erratic. I don't think she got any false positives but there were false negatives.

dun
It was Ann Bledsoe. She seems to be a darn good and knowledgable cowgirl.

I posted on this also. I tried the human tests and they did not work for cattle. I tested two known (palpated) bred cows and two known (synced, lutalyse) open heifers and got no result on any of the tests. The control window showed the line after several hours, not minutes. The test screen never showed anything for any on the cows. I performed the tests as per instructions. I was really hoping it would work but I think it would be great to have one that did work since I have never palpated a cow, I take them to the vet to get that done. Although I would like to learn how, I checked in to an A.I. and palpating class at Bovine Elite and it was $800. Ouch! Maybe next year.

Don't know where you're located but Select Sires offered a course here in Missouri for $350. As part of the deal, you got credit for $200 worth of semen.

Lee