One-eyed jack

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Since the horse board doesn't get a lot of attention from most of you, I will ask this here.

Please explain the terms one-eyed and two-eyed jack in relation to breeding horses. In other words, if someone says, "That horse is out of a one-eyed jack", they would mean what?

Anonymous":32yhv156 said:
Since the horse board doesn't get a lot of attention from most of you, I will ask this here.

Please explain the terms one-eyed and two-eyed jack in relation to breeding horses. In other words, if someone says, "That horse is out of a one-eyed jack", they would mean what?

He's not a one-eyed jack. He's One-Eyed Jack. That's his name.

Sounds like somebody must have won him in a poker game. I get a kick out of some horse's names, just like bars and ranches. There is some place in McLennan County (I think) named the Lucky Dog Ranch. Another place is called the Ace High Ranch. Makes you wonder. There was a bar in Waco for years called The Broken Promise, and there's still one called The Crying Shame. The names people come up with.

Craig-TX

Those are names of Quarter Horse sires- "Out of" a one eyed jack would mean his dam is a mare with One Eyed Jack breeding. "By" one eyed jack would mean his sire has One Eyed Jack breeding.

Craig-TX":22yfi82h said:
What I meant was how they came up with the name of the sire.

Craig-TX

The sires name is selected by the breeder when he sends in the registration papers as a foal- Don't know why they selected those names. Not that familiar with that bloodline.

Oldtimer":1mad6ssu said:
Craig-TX":1mad6ssu said:
What I meant was how they came up with the name of the sire.

Craig-TX

The sires name is selected by the breeder when he sends in the registration papers as a foal- Don't know why they selected those names. Not that familiar with that bloodline.

The owner of Two-Eyed Jack was Howard Pitzer. I dont know about One-Eyed Jack, Ive never heard of this bloodline.

isn't this a gaited blood line. I like the name, if I ride one more shawnee or poco I'll scream.

Two Eyed Jack was an American Quarter Horse, not a gaited horse.
A lot of breeders like to use part of the sire or dam's name in the offspring's registered name (kind of indicates breeding lines) ie:
Dash For Cash offspring often have the word Cash in their registered name.
For what it's worth, my guess would be that One Eyed Jack is a decendant of Two Eyed Jack. Would have to look the AQHA Legend book that has Two Eyed Jack in it...might mention him.
Good luck with your search.

The horse I am riding now, which belongs to my father-in-law, is a great-granddaughter of Two-Eyed Jack. She is a 4 yr old sorrel quarter horse.

Latest posts