Once these are gone... No more

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Once these are busted up I won't be buying replacements... I am thinking of building one out of square 2 inch tube with 3/8 inch walls and see what they can do with that.

Those arent great by any means, but if youll go ahead, and weld them together the day you buy them, they hold up considerably better.

Bigfoot":tr98gc41 said:
Those arent great by any means, but if youll go ahead, and weld them together the day you buy them, they hold up considerably better.

Wish I'd known and did that before.. I'm hoping to find square tubing at local scrap yard and weld one and see what they can do with it.

Did the cattle do that or a loader with it froze to the ground. I have had several that were a POS, but the last one I bought I move it about everyday with a loader (needle on the end) and so far has held up good. The square tube will freeze to the ground worse than the round. Looks like a fixed chamber baler baled the hay, maybe New Idea.

wbvs58":1tt5573r said:
I think tube rolled in a circle is structurally stronger.

Ken

I bought a tubing roller a while back, and have considered building my own heavy duty hay feeders. The cost of the material has delayed that project. I have square and round dies, but I figured square tubing would be easier to fabricate since there wouldn't be any copes to cut.

guy left one he made at a farm i bought.. it was heavy rebar .. worked great .. super heavy..

jltrent":eemnd6rk said:
Did the cattle do that or a loader with it froze to the ground. I have had several that were a POS, but the last one I bought I move it about everyday with a loader (needle on the end) and so far has held up good. The square tube will freeze to the ground worse than the round. Looks like a fixed chamber baler baled the hay, maybe New Idea.

The bull did it pushing it along the ground I seen him I have no idea why they have to be so destructive. That was baled with a krone chain baler.

Farm Fence Solutions":13je1zcg said:
wbvs58":13je1zcg said:
I think tube rolled in a circle is structurally stronger.

Ken

I bought a tubing roller a while back, and have considered building my own heavy duty hay feeders. The cost of the material has delayed that project. I have square and round dies, but I figured square tubing would be easier to fabricate since there wouldn't be any copes to cut.

Yea metal shot up here like crazy so I go to farm sales and buy scrap junk that's good metal I can use.

callmefence":347hpuh4 said:
If you're gonna use rings..use the plastic ones. Virtually indestructible and I have yet to have a animal injured in one. Cost you a extra 100.00. but you'll like them.

Can you tell me which ones you have?

TCRanch":1bqt21rj said:
http://centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

Sky, we have 7 poly rings and they truly are virtually indestructible. Little pricey but worth it IMO. Only maintenance is to make sure the screws are still tight a couple times a year.

Thanks that's pretty crazy how strong it is. I just hope since its fairly light it seems they just don't push it all over the place

RanchMan90":3qi9g1qd said:
Do hay rings conserve hay?

sometime they do , sometimes they don't . There are times when i put out a hay in rings and you cant tell there was ever anything in them or hardly any waste around it. other times it looks like a bomb when out around the ring .