Once these are gone... No more

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":2ad3872j said:
If you're gonna use rings..use the plastic ones. Virtually indestructible and I have yet to have a animal injured in one. Cost you a extra 100.00. but you'll like them.
I have one metal one. I will never have another one. Dad bought this one. I have three plastic ones, had one season. I like them.

Farm Fence Solutions":1rvq1d0n said:
wbvs58":1rvq1d0n said:
I think tube rolled in a circle is structurally stronger.

Ken

I bought a tubing roller a while back, and have considered building my own heavy duty hay feeders. The cost of the material has delayed that project. I have square and round dies, but I figured square tubing would be easier to fabricate since there wouldn't be any copes to cut.
I've gone close to pulling the trigger on a tube roller a few times, I think I might go ahead next time they are on special. I think it would pay for itself fairly quickly. I like being independant with stuff I fabricate.
Steel prices aren't too bad here. I think using thick wall thickness is not the way to go, things can be fabricated light yet strong, "light is good". One of my favorite square sections is 40x40x1.6 which pretty light and economical, I have made a lot of things with that like feed troughs and they have stood up well to abuse by bulls.

Ken

skyhightree1":mh5lxlvn said:
ddd75":mh5lxlvn said:
guy left one he made at a farm i bought.. it was heavy rebar .. worked great .. super heavy..

Heavy rebar what size is it?

i can't remember for sure. something like 1.25" probably

Guy i know has some square ones made from 2'' pipe been there for long as i can remember spring cows so little calf use. Friend of mine has a plastic welder made his own plastic ones he owns a natural gas company has rolls of 6'' line already. Couldn't sweet talk him out of any though.

I built these two out of schedule 40 last year. If I paint them regularly, im pretty sure they will last a long time.

Lucasbranham":1teo1thx said:
I built these two out of schedule 40 last year. If I paint them regularly, im pretty sure they will last a long time.

Nice job Lucas. I like the way the top ring is slightly smaller than the bottom two, that produces a bit of triangulation with the vertical bits and makes it stronger to resist crushing the circle, well done, smart.

Ken

Lucasbranham":9z7kem57 said:

Do you drop the bale in them or place the bale over them.

M-5":2jv0pm1m said:
RanchMan90":2jv0pm1m said:
Do hay rings conserve hay?

sometime they do , sometimes they don't . There are times when i put out a hay in rings and you cant tell there was ever anything in them or hardly any waste around it. other times it looks like a bomb when out around the ring .
Yes! I think it depends on the bale. Right now I'm putting out prairie hay and it essentially falls apart as soon as I cut the netting. Tighter bales of brome, Bermuda or alfalfa seem to stay more secure in the ring.

skyhightree1":3m68r5kv said:
TCRanch":3m68r5kv said:
http://centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

Sky, we have 7 poly rings and they truly are virtually indestructible. Little pricey but worth it IMO. Only maintenance is to make sure the screws are still tight a couple times a year.

Thanks that's pretty crazy how strong it is. I just hope since its fairly light it seems they just don't push it all over the place
Or wear it!

hurleyjd":1tgchvs9 said:
Lucasbranham":1tgchvs9 said:

Do you drop the bale in them or place the bale over them.

I usually set the bale on the ground. Then move the ring over the bale. They're too heavy to do it by hand. So I pick them up with the tractor. Doesn't dent the tubing at all.

TCRanch":36zczqyb said:
skyhightree1":36zczqyb said:
TCRanch":36zczqyb said:

Sky, we have 7 poly rings and they truly are virtually indestructible. Little pricey but worth it IMO. Only maintenance is to make sure the screws are still tight a couple times a year.

Thanks that's pretty crazy how strong it is. I just hope since its fairly light it seems they just don't push it all over the place
Or wear it!

That's a cool photo. How did the hay ring fare after he got out?

skyhightree1":2vp1o9gp said:
Nesikep":2vp1o9gp said:
Sky, I thought you were talking about horses from the title.

Hector was pretty hard on the feeders

Wise guy.. I'll give u the horses if you come get them
I have none, the perfect number of them! Ditto for dogs
Owls and yotes keep eating my cats, I could use a couple of those

ccr":2xwzr3ox said:
TCRanch":2xwzr3ox said:
skyhightree1":2xwzr3ox said:
Or wear it!

That's a cool photo. How did the hay ring fare after he got out?
That pic was prob 5 years ago. He was our village idiot & getting him out was a circus. Still have the ring & no damage at all.

TCRanch":3s8s66c7 said:

x2

Latest posts