Once a Bull Calf... Always a Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Two years ago, two of my heifers had bull calves... With a straight face, a friend of mine says... "Chuck, I'd take those heifers to the sale yard.... Ya know, once they have a bull calf they'll always throw bull calves"
I'll be dang that this being the third season, those two critters have only had bull calves... Three sets now... Good calves, but they haven't helped much in herd building or heifer replacement...
He might have missed his calling... I wonder how well he'd do at dowsing and fortune telling? :D

Just Curious":vnjctn5y said:
Two years ago, two of my heifers had bull calves... With a straight face, a friend of mine says... "Chuck, I'd take those heifers to the sale yard.... Ya know, once they have a bull calf they'll always throw bull calves"
I'll be dang that this being the third season, those two critters have only had bull calves... Three sets now... Good calves, but they haven't helped much in herd building or heifer replacement...
He might have missed his calling... I wonder how well he'd do at dowsing and fortune telling? :D

If he can predict the future that well he needs to buy a lottery ticket or go to vegas

dun

Looking through my records, some cows have more of one gender than the other, but I do not believe for a minute the first calf will tell the future sex of a cows' calves.

Remember back in 1972 when I worked for ABS breeding cows.............the movement was on to sex semen.

A company rep told us in a meeting that research had been done that showed some cows produced more of a particular enzyme that would kill more sperm of one sex than the other.

Never heard anything else from it.

Just Curious":1x7pkx8f said:

He'd probably do about as well as anyone else at fortune telling. We've got a six year old cow who's had nothing but bulls. But we've got two ten year old cows that have had as many heifers as bulls. The old question: "if a family has three boys and one girl, what are the odds their next child will be a girl" comes to mind. The odds are still 50-50.

MikeC":3hubzbh8 said:
Remember back in 1972 when I worked for ABS breeding cows.............the movement was on to sex semen.

A company rep told us in a meeting that research had been done that showed some cows produced more of a particular enzyme that would kill more sperm of one sex than the other.

Back in the 60s the big deal was to feed vinegar to change the uterine ph so that more females would be born. That didn;t pan out either

dun

dun":1x5gyb2o said:
MikeC":1x5gyb2o said:

Back in the 60s the big deal was to feed vinegar to change the uterine ph so that more females would be born. That didn;t pan out either

dun

Maybe it has something to do with the way they are bred??? These two cows always prefer to be on their backs with their tails off to the leftside... :lol:

That's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. We have been waiting for a heifer out of our favorite cow for 4 years now- finally got one this year. Well worth the wait!

My grandfather was a dairyman. He said breed them on their first heat after a bull calf born to get a heifer next time. If a cow had a heifer breed her on the second heat cycle. My dad said it worked. I dont keep an eye on my beef cattle that close.

Odds are always 50-50. The sperm determines the gender any way, and some bulls have been known to have a higher % of one sex.

*Cowgirl*":31fb2imn said:
Odds are always 50-50. The sperm determines the gender any way, and some bulls have been known to have a higher % of one sex.

Actually male sperm is weaker than female. It actually depends on when the female releases the egg. An early ovulator has a better chance for male sperm to get to the egg. One the releases the egg later will br higher up in the horn and the female sperm will have a better chance.

S&S Farms":2zaxqi6b said:
*Cowgirl*":2zaxqi6b said:

Actually male sperm is weaker than female. It actually depends on when the female releases the egg. An early ovulator has a better chance for male sperm to get to the egg. One the releases the egg later will br higher up in the horn and the female sperm will have a better chance.

No male bashing allowed girls :stop: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I am pretty sure I read the other day that less than 10% of the heifer crop is retained every yearas breeding stock. What is the big push to try to raise more of them. I would want more bull calves as they grow bigger.

S&S Farms":spqee3la said:
*Cowgirl*":spqee3la said:

If I remember correctly, I believe it has more to do with the ph level of the vagina - which could certainly correspond with when the egg is released, but I'm not certain. I don't remember which does better in alkalinity and which does better with acidity, though.

Common...doesn't everyone like the surprizes when the calf hits the straw...always fun to watch and see where the pee comes from for thoes who don't assist the birth and can't get up close and personal with a protective mama.
I wouldn't mind all bull calves....this is the first year in awhile that we are considering selling heifers. DMc

But the actual deciding sex factor is whether the sperm carries an X chrm or Y chrm. Other things can influence, but the chromosome on that sperm cell decides the calf's sex.

Had a pony that had males every year (more than ten of them) except one year she had a female. We kept it and she couldn't get pregnant.
Had some cows that have had pretty much all boys too and often it seems their heifers are a little less fertile. But I don't think you can tell on the first. Some day when I am bored I will have to go through our records though and see.

Hi I would love to know two things. One do bull calves usually have an udder and what can I do to fix his front feet. He was born today and his front feet don't work. They collapse under him like his tendons are to tight. The cow that threw him had the same problem with her last calf. Any suggestions or answers?

mauzergurl":10qups29 said:
Hi I would love to know two things. One do bull calves usually have an udder and what can I do to fix his front feet. He was born today and his front feet don't work. They collapse under him like his tendons are to tight. The cow that threw him had the same problem with her last calf. Any suggestions or answers?

They have teats but Ive never seen any newborn calf with an udder that was obvious.
You can splint the front legs and the calf will be right as rain in 6 weeks. If you don;t splint them they'll be all straigtened out in a month and a half

dun