On the subject of young pups

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Whats next in the training process?
Snickers now will heel cattle to a pen and bring in any strays to the pen. She's been kicked and rolled, and the headiest cow doesn't faze her.
She's a year old now. She minds well but at times doesn't back off until they are in the corral.
What's the next step?

What does she need to improve on? If she'll gather cattle and put them away for you then you're pretty well set.
For me, the most important thing a dog can do is flank cattle and hold that ground. I can gather cattle by myself, I can push cattle by myself, but I can't push the cattle that I have gathered by myself without the risk of losing all my cattle since I have a number of places where the lead cow can simply walk off the road and turn back and I'd kill a horse trying to get ahead of them... REAL handy to have a dog that knows that spot in the road that can "come by" ahead of time and and keep them pointed downhill.

The better question should have been what more can I do to fine tune her?
Thanks cp

Teach her to get around them on command. That's what I was saying the long winded way above. Healing is great when the cattle are already doing what you want but when they're NOT doing what you want, a dog that will get around them is helpful.

Ok. That's what we're working on now. Getting a single up with hand signals. So far so good.

Latest posts