On the hunt for my babies

Help Support CattleToday:

BrieCheese

Reaction score
Hello, first-time poster here. My name is Brianna and I raised Belted Galloway for most of my childhood. The herd I worked so hard to take care of and maintain was sold in 2015 at an auction barn without my knowledge. This was, of course, a second-hand sale. I sold them to my grandfather when I went to college, he sold them to a family who promised to take care of them and when the family couldn't pay for a ranch, instead of selling them back to my grandfather who had offered more than what they'd originally paid for, they took them to a sale barn. My family has not told me this feeling that ignorance was bliss and it was for awhile but now I want to know that they are alright. The sale barn is in Fort Collins, CO, Centennial Livestock Auctions I believe and the herd was fairly large for novelty cattle, I am trying to get in touch with the sale barn as well. To my knowledge, the registered cattle have not appeared anywhere in the Belted Galloway association. They were all tattooed and some were purebred as well. I know this is a long shot and will probably return nothing but after all my work and childhood spent on these cows, I can't let this rest knowing I didn't do everything I could to find them. Anything helps, information, contacts or rumors, thank you all for reading! Have a good day.

-Brianna

sorry to say but they probably mostly went to work at McDonalds in the ground beef division by now.

Love your heart :heart:

I get attached to mine also. I like to know when I sell one that it is going to a good keeper of the bovine flame.

:heart:

I'm actually pretty tender hearted, but I feel you need the truth. Those don't sound like back to the farm cows.

I have owned dozens of horses, where a previous owner wanted to know how they were doing. I usually ablidge, but the facts are when you sell it to somebody else, it's not really yours anymore.

3waycross":1okaqobh said:
sorry to say but they probably mostly went to work at McDonalds in the ground beef division by now.

Sorry, but this is most likely true...
but, if you really want to try to pursue it further, go talk to the folks at Centennial. There is a bulletin board just inside the vestibule door if you want to put up a flyer requesting information. I don't recall that we have any other active members from the Fort Collins area

Cattle are not an animal I would raise if I wanted to think the were going to be "alright" after I sold them.

If you want the truth read Soil Cattles post. Then read it again. If that is not clear enough I will use another quote I have seen often on here:
"All cattle end up in the food chain with their head cut off and hanging from a hook"

melking":1yxz2bpp said:
3waycross":1yxz2bpp said:

That is cold dude.

Really!........ya know what's COLD Mel. Blowing a big cloud of smoke up her keister and letting her think that there is ANY chance that some nice family adopted them 2 years ago and they are just checking on Cattle Today every chance they get in the hope that the lovely girl they NEVER heard of will be looking for the long lost cows of her childhood.....now for what's it's worth please reread my post. The first word out of my mouth was SORRY, and I am sorry because her chances of finding those cows are VERY remote if not nonexistent.

BTW If they were my cows and I was looking for them 2 years later and I knew where they changed hands the last time. THE SALE BARN would have been the first place I looked. NOT this website. Colorado has a brand board and if her cows went through the barn and they were branded THERE IS A RECORD OF IT. Even if they weren't branded they had a "Brand Inspection" and there was a record of the sale with the brand board. The description would have definitely read BELTED. Hence that would be the first place to look......

Now take that bleeding heart of yours and fly to northern Colorado and feel free to powder her butt and change her diaper if it will make you feel better.

I can understand your wanting to know if any/all wound up with farmers/ranchers that might still have them or what did happen to them. It is sad that the people did not sell them back to your grandfather but after 2 years, it will be very difficult to trace them. They may very well have gone to slaughter. But I would contact the sale barn, and put up a flyer there as most have bulletin boards and you might get someone who wound up with some of them that went back to the farm somewhere. Also, keep in contact with the breed assoc., some might still turn up. Good luck but I honestly don't know how much you might be able to find out. The sale barn should have records of the seller and the actual lot #'s, and who the buyers were, IF they have records back that far. Might cost you some to get them to pull up old records like that too, personnel time etc.... but maybe.... just be prepared to find that they were all sold for slaughter.

3 waycross; Agree that the truth is best, but geez louise, a little finesse and decency would go a long way. I tell things like it is but try to not be quite so cold about it, especially to a first time poster who is just asking for a little help/advice. Your original post wasn't too bad, but the comment you just made was a little over the top

Thank you to all of you for replying. I wasn't expecting anything back on this. I have contacted the sale barn and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I am doing this two years later because my family lied to me for that entire so I did not know this had happened. I am a 4-H cattle girl that has raised these animals for the last 10 years so I am well aware of the food chain, I've eaten my own steers and would not be the proud producer I was if I hadn't. These animals were not just normal cows to me though, my attachement to them may seem stupid and weak and naive to most of you from what I gather from your comments . That is fair and good, but my loyalty to my animals knew no bounds when I was 8 and it hasn't changed since I turned 19. I would walk through slaughterhouses to ensure they were humane and clean and I did everything from conception to death for my cows. I was just hoping for any small glimmer of hope and my only consolation at the moment is that they're mostly likely dead and safe and the knowledge that the man who sold them at auction has since gone bankrupt and lost everything due to the sale. Thank you all again for the harsh and kind words I am no stranger to either. Have a good night.
-Brie

BrieCheese":15wyqvwa said:
Thank you to all of you for replying. I wasn't expecting anything back on this. I have contacted the sale barn and they haven't gotten back to me yet. I am doing this two years later because my family lied to me for that entire so I did not know this had happened. I am a 4-H cattle girl that has raised these animals for the last 10 years so I am well aware of the food chain, I've eaten my own steers and would not be the proud producer I was if I hadn't. These animals were not just normal cows to me though, my attachement to them may seem stupid and weak and naive to most of you from what I gather from your comments . That is fair and good, but my loyalty to my animals knew no bounds when I was 8 and it hasn't changed since I turned 19. I would walk through slaughterhouses to ensure they were humane and clean and I did everything from conception to death for my cows. I was just hoping for any small glimmer of hope and my only consolation at the moment is that they're mostly likely dead and safe and the knowledge that the man who sold them at auction has since gone bankrupt and lost everything due to the sale. Thank you all again for the harsh and kind words I am no stranger to either. Have a good night.
-Brie

Brie,

I understand you exactly. I don't feel responsible for every cow on earth but I feel responsible for mine. You expressed yourself well. You will go far. :heart:

As someone who was raised up around cattle and had a small cow/calf herd at 13, I can understand being sentimental about the cattle. I think that honesty is the best policy, but how that honesty is stated can make a lot of difference. In our daily interactions with folks we meet, things that we say can have a profound affect. Honesty is good, but being kind and respectful in the process, should be the standard.

Latest posts