On the hunt for my babies

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":141hp06n said:
BrieCheese":141hp06n said:
Update: the sale barn said no one had sold a beltie there for awhile and the name of the seller didn't show in their records (They just updated their system last year I think, records prior might be harder to get ahold of) and every ranch I called hadn't bought em. None of their tattoos are registered to anyone else either. I guess that's all I can do. Nothing left except to wait till I can get some again. If I'm lucky I still have some friends with some of my herd's lineage in them, I sold a few bulls to other people before I left and they should be purebred registered brothers to my best cows. Gotta graduate college first though. :p

If the brand inspector in that area is a sharp as most I know, he might even know where they ended up. I'd track him down and ask him

:nod: :nod:

This would be the next source I would go to.

If it makes you feel any better, I and several others that I know have standing orders for any healthy belted Galloway appearing female we can find. There's apparently way more demand than supply of these cattle - in 8 years working at the same weekly sale (granted not a big one) I have yet to see one come through the ring. We might get a few steers every once in awhile, or a very old cow or bull, but never a heifer or a running age cow. And I do drive by two seperate herds of them on my way to the sale, so it's not as if there just aren't any around.

I do understand where you're coming from. My daughter in law called to ask if she could buy back some of her old show heifers and/or their daughters from the people she thought her late step father had sold them to. There's a long story that goes with this that I'm sure I don't know all of, and probably shouldn't share if I did, but it does look like she'll be getting some of them back.

DLD":1zcmhav6 said:
If it makes you feel any better, I and several others that I know have standing orders for any healthy belted Galloway appearing female we can find. There's apparently way more demand than supply of these cattle - in 8 years working at the same weekly sale (granted not a big one) I have yet to see one come through the ring. We might get a few steers every once in awhile, or a very old cow or bull, but never a heifer or a running age cow. And I do drive by two seperate herds of them on my way to the sale, so it's not as if there just aren't any around.

There are some breeders in CO that I know of if you'd like to get in touch but none that I know personally in OK. Everyone loves them and they are priced a bit higher than other breeds depending on where they come from and who they're sired by. There's also a Facebook page for belted galloway sales and inquiries if you haven't already looked at it!

Just to clarify, that's orders for Beltie females that come through the sale barns or we might happen to run across in the country - so no more than a small premium over market price. Not enough to go search them out. Just saying it's enough, here anyway, to keep them from the packers.

I delivered a calf out of a galloway last night...neighbors cow...first she didn't want the calf....later she wanted to fight him over it...

Latest posts