On the bull hunt

Help Support CattleToday:

frieghttrain":2sfsz9r5 said:
I'd say you got a steal with those prices :D Make sure to get some good pictures when you get them home!
I think so too. :D At least for bull calf. He would have asked over 2000 for a bigger bull, but I liked when we bought yearling better than buying close to 2year age bull.
Heifer might be sired by the same bull as the bull. I'll make sure to get some good photos when they'll be here, for sure!

New bull and heifer have arrived today. Heifer is 6 months old, bull calf- 10 months old.
Bull calf:
DSCF3037.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3020.jpg

Heifer:
DSCF3033.jpg

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3045.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

Have just weaned our calves today.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27lq2u2b said:
real meat wagon!!
Yes, like both alot. Both are sired by the same sire and are really wide. Not too extreme, but should grow into nice animals. The bull will get up to 20cows around mid summer. Plan about AI for the heifer around 20months age. Don't want to hurry with our first pure heifer.

The previous owner done all the paperwork necessary for pure cattle and sent me the the info of both animals parents. Done some research on the internet for both. Bull has a French sire, dam also has French breeding. Heifer has mostly German genetics, with her sire's sire being French. Some good old French bulls there.
http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR8789003682
http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR3330021849
http://www.trouverlebontaureau.com/nos-taureaux/taureau_FR1692111209
The bull is already chosen for the heifer. Some old good French genetics, so can't await until she'll be old enough for the breeding.

The bull is developing pretty nicely. He was on hay and very little of meal during winter, but kept his condition pretty well. Should move him out on grass soon, so it will be a good boost for him. Nice tempered and I'm pretty sure he'll sire better calves than our previous bull. Will give him some work at the end of July or in August.
DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3283.jpg

lithuanian farmer said:
The bull is developing pretty nicely. He was on hay and very little of meal during winter, but kept his condition pretty well. Should move him out on grass soon, so it will be a good boost for him. Nice tempered and I'm pretty sure he'll sire better calves than our previous bull. Will give him some work at the end of July or in August.
DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3286.jpg

DSCF3283.jpg

Well muscled bull but I'm not sure that I like his top line.

Thank you. I appreciate your opinion. He's definitely not the perfect bull. I myself see some things, which I'd like to improve. However, I have some hopes for him to produce well enough muscled calves suitable for fattening and maybe a couple heifers for replacements. Have moved him out on grass today, so it'll be interesting to see how he'll mature.
His half brother is working in another farm. His first crop of calves started hitting the ground with +-100lbs BW.