On my driveway

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I looked out the front window and first light this morning. Some large dark spots on the edge of the driveway down by the bridge. So I put the binoculars on them to see what the heck it was. Turned out to be a big bunch of quail all packed together. As I was looking they spread out enough to allow me to try to count them. I counted 40+. Hard telling what will show up on my driveway.

76 Bar said:
Got 50 plus wild turkeys in my drive way 24/7. Would be happy to trade ya.
I have had 30 or wild turkeys here in the past. They all moved down the road to the neighbors. When I was looking at the quail with a naked eye I was thinking a turkey or two had showed up

bird dog said:
Do y'all have a quail season? I guess these are Mountain quail?

These are California quail. I looked it up. Season runs October 10 to January 31. Daily bag limit is 10. I don't know of anyone who hunts them around here.

I expect Simang King would be glad to come visit you and thin them out a bit. Nothing beats seeing wildlife right outside your door everyday.

kenny thomas said:
I haven't seen a quail here in years. It would make my day, week, month, year to see 40 in a covey
I see them everyday (not usually that many all together). I have to slow down nearly everyday going out the driveway. Get out of the way you stupid quail.
We counted it up last year. We had seen 47 different species here on our place and we didn't attempt to count song birds. This morning when I went out to change the irrigation there was 18 does and 4 bucks. Down from yesterday morning when it was 23 does and 6 bucks. This afternoon a Blue Heron landed where those quail had been. I don't know what he was looking for there.

I have one place I cut hay that has at least one covey on it of wild birds. I always leave a border around the field I don't cut for them.

That's Awesome! I have seen two pair of Bob Whites this year. They have plenty of cover and feed. I trap coons. Eliminate every raccoon, opossum, skunk, and coyote I see. But the winters have been lousy and the springs wet. We just can't seem to get the quail back.

Dave said:
bird dog said:
Do y'all have a quail season? I guess these are Mountain quail?

These are California quail. I looked it up. Season runs October 10 to January 31. Daily bag limit is 10. I don't know of anyone who hunts them around here.

I'll be at your place October 9th, with my dog.

;-) :lol2:

I have not seen any here for years until I saw a bobwhite this spring. I think it must have been a farm raised bird as it was looking at me like it wanted to be fed. I saw another a few weeks later running down a gravel road. Coincidence??
Fire ants get most of the blame for the decline and probably deserve it but lack of habitat surely has something to do with it.

When I get rich in the cattle business I am going to leave my legacy to the Bobwhite quail association. Poor birds don't stand a chance.

Dave said:
76 Bar said:
Got 50 plus wild turkeys in my drive way 24/7. Would be happy to trade ya.
I have had 30 or wild turkeys here in the past. They all moved down the road to the neighbors. When I was looking at the quail with a naked eye I was thinking a turkey or two had showed up

We have a ridiculous amount of turkeys! Everywhere, in our front & back yard, barnyard, hanging with the cattle. And they eat the baby quail, thinking they're bugs.

The struggle is real (worthless barn cats).

We've got the usual turkeys and quail and hogs . But a few months ago I stepped out on the balcony with my coffee and look down the driveway. Can't figure out what I'm seeing so I get my spotting scope and there's two coons screwing in the middle of the driveway. Started to send a bullet to the party but it was probably 400 yards and I hadn't had my coffee. So I just let em go ahead.

All the people here with a fair number of turkeys claim to have significantly few rattle snakes than they have had in the past. For that reason I wouldn't mind a few more turkeys hanging around. One of the problems here is that other than the cottonwoods along river the rest of the trees are junipers, fairly short with limbs to the ground. Turkeys roost in the junipers. A mountain lion comes along at night, climbs the tree, and has thanksgiving dinner. I have seen the signs of this in the snow.

kenny thomas said:
The quail have disappeared it seems in most of the southeast. I'm pretty sure fescue is part of the reason.

Probably has more to do with fireants than fescue.