?? on finishing a Jersey cross steer

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ok, so my dumb question of the week is this. I picked a jersey x angus steer for a decent enough price. He's about 13 or 14 months old, and maybe 850-950 lbs. In the last 2 months he's been here, he doesn't seem to be doing much, getting bigger but not better. Still looks thin. He's been wormed, good hay, minerals. So, typically at what age or weight do they finish at? I'm seriously considering taking him to be made burger and just the best cuts of steaks at the end of the month. Never having done a jersey, I'm just not sure if he'll ever pan out, or if I'm jumping the gun. He won't bring anything at the auction.
What say ye?? Give him more time, or take him in???

hooknline":1us61z0c said:
Ok, so my dumb question of the week is this. I picked a jersey x angus steer for a decent enough price. He's about 13 or 14 months old, and maybe 850-950 lbs. In the last 2 months he's been here, he doesn't seem to be doing much, getting bigger but not better. Still looks thin. He's been wormed, good hay, minerals. So, typically at what age or weight do they finish at? I'm seriously considering taking him to be made burger and just the best cuts of steaks at the end of the month. Never having done a jersey, I'm just not sure if he'll ever pan out, or if I'm jumping the gun. He won't bring anything at the auction.
What say ye?? Give him more time, or take him in???

Sounds to me like he is at least 3 to 5 months a a whole bunch of feed from being anything near finished. If that is what you are gonna feed him then he will finish some time next fall if at all.

3waycross":12j5lbln said:
. If that is what you are gonna feed him then he will finish some time next fall if at all.

Forgot to mention all my cows are on either cubes or tubs.
Is your above quote referring to the way I'm feeding now or the heavy feeding him? Not having done a jersey before, if the consensus is that he is on par, them ill finish him. If he's below par, ill burger him. Dang I wish I had some scales.

IMG00003-20101126-1521.jpg

To "finish" him he's going to need either grain or a long time on high quality forage. Sowly ram him up to about 2% of his body weight in a good qulity 13-16% grain along with the hay.

He looks like he is 100% Jersey. All of our Angus Jersey crosses are black (black is dominate).

He is about as good as he will get. You can fatten him up, but he won't put on any more meat than is genetically possible (which isn't much).

Others may tell you differently. All I can say if that we've raised a lot of Jersey steers for the freezer.

Well, I thinlk what ill do is grain him for 45 days, and take him in. I'm not gonna lose money that's for sure

dun":1tl0l05c said:
To "finish" him he's going to need either grain or a long time on high quality forage. Sowly ram him up to about 2% of his body weight in a good qulity 13-16% grain along with the hay.

What I was trying to say, only Dun done it better.

hooknline":q1mcnk2i said:
Well, I thinlk what ill do is grain him for 45 days, and take him in. I'm not gonna lose money that's for sure

That will be good. Jersey meat is very good. Fine grained and delicious. :D

Maybe it's the camera, or that picture was a long time ago but that little fella ain't weighing 900#

Where'd you get the idea he is part Angus? If the seller claimed that, I'd probably have a talk with him/her.

That's what I was tyold but doubted it myself. Its no big deal, I got him cheap because the guy couldn't afford him anymore, and knew he would be a pain to put any weight on. Better than the animal staying where he was.
On his weight, my camera makes everything look smaller. Something about the lense.

Weigh tape has him at 842, but he's prob a bit more than that as long as he is.

Make sure the weight tape if for "dairy". Jerseys are all shoulders and no ass. I'm guessing more like 700... hard to tell with one pic.

Well let me say this if that little fella was weighing 900# when you took the picture, the travel thru cyberspace to my computer must be a heck of a workout cause that little guy lost 250# when he got here.

What can I say...I guessed him at 850-900, tape has him at 842+-
Not trying to get in an argument, but the camera on my phone is always been off when it comes to putting things to scale. Kinda like a wide angle lens about the size of a pencil eraser.Unless someone wants to bring their personal scales over and put the issue of weight to rest, I don't see what the big deal is. Geeze :tiphat: