On Farm Service Labor Rate

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":2hfaeul4 said:
callmefence":2hfaeul4 said:
ddd75":2hfaeul4 said:
I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.

:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??

you asked, I told you, it works for me, those boys hold fences posts and put them where I want just fine. No high intelligence needed to build fence. ;-)
And that's when the fight started........

ddd75":g3si20mn said:
callmefence":g3si20mn said:
ddd75":g3si20mn said:
I have mental retarded guys help me out. They can do quite a lot and are pretty smart. You just need to show them what to do. Are they going to do finish work ? no.. are they going to mess some things up? yes. But that is what you get. I do all final work and fix what they mess up if anything. They are very happy to work and will work for 10 hours a day no problem.

Of course overhead exists, but keeping it very low is the key. Some operations thats impossible though.

:lol2:
Thanks for the tip ddd I'll head down to Austin tomorrow and check with the state school.
You use the same method for the cheap insurance??

you asked, I told you, it works for me, those boys hold fences posts and put them where I want just fine. No high intelligence needed to build fence. ;-)

Nope. But it takes a fair amount to make a living out if it. Which you don't.
Along with not paying a decent wage, or having insurance or paying your taxes.

Here's how I see. The $360 to show up seems like gravy until you have to buy a set of tires for that service truck , plus the $490 and the fellow makes $850 for the day. He probably made a little on the parts. You need to make that much a day to operate a service truck company in today's economy. Now if you can do a job like that almost 5 days a week you've got something. The dead days eat up the good days.

Kingfisher":17g87vl0 said:
Here's how I see. The $360 to show up seems like gravy until you have to buy a set of tires for that service truck , plus the $490 and the fellow makes $850 for the day. He probably made a little on the parts. You need to make that much a day to operate a service truck company in today's economy. Now if you can do a job like that almost 5 days a week you've got something. The dead days eat up the good days.

That's a very good example. And when you have employees depending on a paycheck it gets eat up fast. If you don't keep them busy. they'll quit you and you'll end up with a crew of retards.
Many home repair and construction companies do no mark-up on parts or materials to avoid the burden of collecting sales tax.

Kingfisher":2gp4entg said:
Only someone without a lick of business sense would think the $360 is gravy.

The cost to o-w-n and o-p-e-r-a-t-e a service truck or van is 65 - 90 cents per mile or 45-60% of the $3 mileage rate
45-60% ($160-$220) of the $360 covers the cost owning and operating a service truck/van and pays for those tires ect.

The balance ($200-$140) is his pay for driving time To AND From job = 58 - 83 cents per mile driven
As a point of reference: Average Semi Truck Driver earns 35 cents per mile and earns over $66,000 per year.
My point being he is also compensated very well for driving.

The $490 is not his day's pay it is his pay for 2 hrs and then he drives to next job.... rinse and repeat.
The dead days are called Days Off.

Latest posts