??? on butchering a cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
We are considering butchering a cow that we are going to cull. We know she would be ground into hamburger and have a few people interested in buying some of the meat. Any idea of what to charge for it? We know what a regular beef would go for, just don't know how to charge for hamburger.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl":36r3x405 said:
We are considering butchering a cow that we are going to cull. We know she would be ground into hamburger and have a few people interested in buying some of the meat. Any idea of what to charge for it? We know what a regular beef would go for, just don't know how to charge for hamburger.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

I might be telling you something you already know but I would definitely put the cow on some grain for a while and fatten her up.

talldog":3kfdy7qv said:
That's way to cheap for GOOD burger !!!!!!! :frowns: :frowns:
I just wanted rid of it we had butchered a beef for ourselves about 30 days prior and this cow stepped in a cattle guard and broke her leg so we just burgered her and got rid of it

she brought more that way than if I would have shot her or sold her for baloney

Thanks for the replys. This cow is so fat now she will barely make it through the chute. On grass. Can't get her pregnant and the calves she has had are average at best. Hate to see her go that way but life is tough.

I think we have come up with $2.50 a pound including the processing. That is still way better than the sale barn.

Farmgirl

I sell burger for $2.50 a pound and .50 for the grinding and wrapping.
Got to have 3 bucks a pound or I take her to the sale.

mnmtranching":1a86kz8p said:
I sell burger for $2.50 a pound and .50 for the grinding and wrapping.
Got to have 3 bucks a pound or I take her to the sale.
Please explain if you would. Seems $3.00 per # ground beef = $90 cwt live. Never seen cows bring that much money am I missing something?

I was hoping either of these previous posters could have explained there statements, the previous posters must have not returned yet. Would any else want to try to explain the $3 per ground otherwise they go to the auction to me?

options":30odwujo said:
I was hoping either of these previous posters could have explained there statements, the previous posters must have not returned yet. Would any else want to try to explain the $3 per ground otherwise they go to the auction to me?

Evidently you haven't ever hoisted a fat cow in the air chained her up on the farm shed out back after you shot her in the eye with a 22 LR and cut her throat to bleed her in a fair sized tub - skinned her with your knife(s) and hung her carcass preferably in a cool place for a couple of weeks before you parted her out.

If she is over a certain age she will automatically grade low and all that external fat will be trimmed off prior to turning each side into your preferred hamburger meat.

Be sure you add some fat to that 5+ year old grass fed cow hamburger or no one will buy it more than once.
I would have to agree with the previous posters' on >> why bother??
Take her to the stockyard and get your check today instead of taking a chance on peddling hamburger to your neighbors for the for-seeable future-- as it is not worth the aggrevation. Sell her at the stockyard and have a party (buy some high choice NY Strips) -- invite your neighbors.

Our slaughter cows are loaded for direct delivery to the packer --we get $1.25/lb on the rail-- 1500 lb cows = 900 lbs HCW x 1.25= 1150+- (much easier than chaining ole bessie to the farm shed)
Just a thought

edrsimms

The $75 cwt live still sounds high to me for an old cow, however it is way lower than $90 cwt live in the above example.

I have a very difficult understanding how receiving less than $3.00 per pound of ground beef would result in less profit than selling live at an auction.

As I look at a market report for 6/10/2009 top dollar cull cow brought $52.50 cwt live. Using that 1500 pound cow in your above post, you are looking at $787.50 live and $1350 as burger. Seems as though ground beef price (including processing) would need to go below $2.25 per pound, before selling at auction would result in a higher return for cow. Without paying processing it would be a wash at $1.75 per pound ground beef. Your thoughts?

We do not sell them live weight--- please reread the post. (we sell them on the RAIL)
The difference is two things the aggrevation you have versus the zero aggrevation I have and I dont peddle old cows in the form of burger to my neighbors. Most people will go down to Wally World and buy the 80/20 off the shelf for under 3 before they pay you $3 for old Bessie.

edrsimms

Thanks for the reply I understand you sell on the rail, however it was easy to figure live weight. My question was why would a person think it is more profitable to sell a cow thru the auction live, than to sell the cow for less than $3.00 per pound of ground. That was the part I did not understand. Cash cow prices are currently not even close to that much when converting it to meat prices.

I do like the idea of selling cows on the rail for $1.25 that is a wonderfull price. Didn't know they would pay so much for cows on the rail. Is that a secret price or would you care to help a fellow rancher with a packing plant name?

options":jamqb25k said:

what's a cow gonna cut out?

1250 lb cow,
might hang 50% => 625 lb,
packaged might be 40% => 250 lb

1250 lb cows are bringing $600-700
$650/250lb = $2.60/lb

this is to break even and is a lot more trouble than dropping her off at the barn and getting a check.

if she has a broken leg, you wont get anything for her at the barn, so be happy somebody wants her. if you make it the same as the supermarket, nobody can argue with your price. if you make it $3/lb you might have to work at it, but you could make some extra money (the burger is the same whether he rleg is broken or not).

edrsimms":2efhy8i5 said:
Most people will go down to Wally World and buy the 80/20 off the shelf for under 3 before they pay you $3 for old Bessie.

But if you can ever get them to buy one of yours, they won't be going down to Wally World again. That must be the worst hamburger meat on the planet. Must be made in China...