Son of Butch":11yf3je5 said:
Current Medal Count
Norway 19
Germany 15
Netherlands 13
Canada 13

USA 8 (3 way tie) but crushing France 7 :banana:

Kazakhstan - Great Britain - Spain - each have 1 Bronze Medal
In glorious nation of Kazakhstan, bronze is better than gold.

Rangenerd":2w3h3uxo said:
Other than nationalistic pride, I have no reason to watch. I don't ski, hate skating, and don't have a clue about hockey.
I don't blame you and it's completely understandable. While I don't think you have to love winter to enjoy the Winter Olympics, I do think liking winter or having some sort of fun experience with a winter event helps.
But mostly winter sux. :)

Son of Butch":2qn0ydoc said:
Current Medal Count
Norway 19
Germany 15
Netherlands 13
Canada 13

USA 8 (3 way tie) but crushing France 7 :banana:

Kazakhstan - Great Britain - Spain - each have 1 Bronze Medal

Looks like the Aryans are on top, but what happened to the Swedes?

Every evening I have tried watching it. About 5 minutes in I can't stand it anymore and change the channel. I'm so sick of hearing about the struggles of these athletes and how hard their lives are.

current medal count
Norway 38 with one day to go they can't be caught
Canada 28
Germany 28
USA 23
Netherlands 18
Russia 16

USA men's curling team won gold beating Sweden (oh the the thrill) ;-) not exactly the Miracle on Ice in 1980
when Minnesota... er I mean... USA won gold.
Minnesota hockey coach Herb Brooks and 11 of the 20 team members were from Minnesota.

p.s.
Men's curling team 3 of 5 from Minnesota and 2 from Wisconsin
Event counts as 1 medal in standings, but 5 individual gold medals awarded.

Is it true that most of those Minnesotans defected to NYC immediately after the closing ceremonies?

"How you going to keep 'em down on the farm after they've seen the farm?"

I don't know... reports out of Olympic Village is sex so hot few athletes want to leave.
Years ago after wall came down leaks from KGB files showed they were monitoring a beautiful top Russian
figure skater and her sex life was so active it was hard to believe she could walk let alone medal in figure skating.

Son of Butch":1pf2sr2q said:
I don't know... reports out of Olympic Village is sex so hot few athletes want to leave.
Years ago after wall came down leaks from KGB files showed they were monitoring a beautiful top Russian
figure skater and her sex life was so active it was hard to believe she could walk let alone medal in figure skating.
Correction: It was East German figure skater Katrina Witt monitored by East German SSD out of fear of defection.
six time European Champion 1983-88 twice runner up and four time World Champion 83-88
Two Olympic gold medals in ladies singles '84 & '88

From Kindergarten on she attended a school that specialized in educating athletically gifted children.
She was recognized as being so good the East German Secret Service Dept started monitoring her in 1974 at age 9
and had compiled over 3,000 pages in her file by the time East Germany tumbled and Germany was reunified.

I found some photos of her from 1986 world championship, but I'm too unskilled to post them.
IF you don't remember her, believe me she was an absolute stunning beauty back in '86.

Son of Butch":q4ka6054 said:
Correction: It was East German figure skater Katrina Witt monitored by East German SSD[/quote]

And here I thought it was an uncover KGB operation to weaken opposing hockey teams :eek:

Red Army is a fascinating movie about the 1980 loss to the Americans and the subsequent fall of the USSR through the eyes of a Slava Fetisov. It was interesting to see the role sports played in that, although it was minor, and how much control they exuded over their players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuaBBsdEfA

Latest posts