older than dirt

Help Support CattleToday:

I grew up in a small city and remember a town "alarm" going off at noon every weekday. I was really young, before preK don't know if it was for a factory in town or just a thing they used to do, but to this day when I here a noon bell for some reason it makes me think of hot dogs . :? :lol:

Does anyone remember the plastic milk bags that you would buy and then put them in a special container/holder for them . My grandma bought that milk all the time .

VanC":xt8udyrr said:
I remember all of them except one. We never had milk delivered to the house. I also remember threshing oats and helping my uncle skid logs with a team of horses, but I was maybe 10 the last time he did it that way. Who remembers why you always kept an empty tin can on the older tractors?

Yep and still do use one on an old tractor here that is not shedded. :lol2:

We had no milk delivery but had a bread truck that came around. When times were good we might get a dozen donuts from him.
We had a family cow and a pasteuriser for the milk.
And the dimmer switch was better placed on the floor.

hillsdown":29x6te6h said:
VanC":29x6te6h said:
I remember all of them except one. We never had milk delivered to the house. I also remember threshing oats and helping my uncle skid logs with a team of horses, but I was maybe 10 the last time he did it that way. Who remembers why you always kept an empty tin can on the older tractors?

I don't know why but that's something I'll always remember. What kind of tractor are you talking about, HD? The ones I remember that needed the can were an H, a Super C, and a WD45. Of course back then those tractors weren't all that old.

I still have to use one on my 63 mf, but that's only because I snagged the top on a tree branch and tore the flapper off. Aint replaced it yet because coffee cans are cheaper

VanC":1hwzwie3 said:
hillsdown":1hwzwie3 said:
VanC":1hwzwie3 said:

I don't know why but that's something I'll always remember. What kind of tractor are you talking about, HD? The ones I remember that needed the can were an H, a Super C, and a WD45. Of course back then those tractors weren't all that old.

It's my dad's tractor, it is a Belarus . It is not really that old either I think it is a 96 .

Boy you had better had your butt at the house when Dad got in from work, ready for supper and don't even think about coming to my Mom's table without being fully dressed sock's shoe's hair combed .
I got slapped away from the supper table at 17 for saying is this what we are having. Dad back handed me and told me to poke and grit, if I didn't have anything good to say poke my feet under the table and grit my teeth.
I still have anger issues over turnip greens.
Boogie you mentioned wringer washing machine grandma had a maytag that was gasoline operated with a kick start.

I remember when I was young my mom would get Green Stamps from the grocery store. We would save them all year long and put them in books and redeem them for items from the catalog. It was like Christmas.

I can remember turning the handle and wringing the clothes out even if... I didn't want to. And some of the best times I spent growing up was in the 3 holer with the Sears Catalog.

VanC":16h4cq90 said:
i remember doing it sunday evening after bushhogging, trying to beat the rain little trick the amish told me about when i bought their old used equipment :p

You can still get milk delivered in glass bottles in some places in the Uk. It tastes so much better than milk from plastic or cardboard.

1wlimo":3sdrjlsy said:
You can still get milk delivered in glass bottles in some places in the Uk. It tastes so much better than milk from plastic or cardboard.
every thing taste better in glass,, the old mountain dews,, doctor pepper... last mountain dew in a glass bottle i had was in Mississippi a few years back,, tasted great...

CB my dad use to joke that he had the precursor to the electric guitar. It was a kerosene powered guitar. :lol2:

ALACOWMAN":9c4z3lz9 said:
1wlimo":9c4z3lz9 said:
every thing taste better in glass,, the old mountain dews,, doctor pepper... last mountain dew in a glass bottle i had was in Mississippi a few years back,, tasted great...

Great Uncle owned Dr.Pepper, truck used to put a couple of cases on my grandma's porch once a week.
Every now and then we could have one, man that was a treat. Grandma had one of those old refrigerators that had the big round compresser on top. Man would that get those things cold.

yep our general store had the old drink boxs .. in the summer id lift the lid and just lean over in it for a few minutes to cool off ... remember the first time i seen peanuts in a coke,, a feller had.... i dug through that old box trying to find one... there was benchs on both sides of display windows and on the outside they would whittle cedar you could bet those old knives would split hairs.. those old men could start on one end of the stick, and shave to the other end a smooth even cut.. look like it had been on a lathe .. :cowboy:

I remember me and my brother collected a bunch of coke bottles from the roadsides and took them in the baskets of our bicycles over to a filling station to collect 2 cents apiece for them. Some guys rode up to get gas in a convertible and one of them told us he was Eric Burdon and the other guys were the Animals. This was probably '63 or '64. I didn't know who the Animals were but later I found out and have always wondered if they really were the Animals.