older than dirt

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?''We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.  'All the food was slow.''C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?''It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. !  'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.  It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God.  It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.  Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line. Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was. All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week.  He had to get up at 6AM every morning.Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.Ignition switches on the dashboard.Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.Older Than Dirt Quiz :Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told aboutRatings at the bottom.1.Candy cigarettes2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles4. Party lines on the telephone5.Newsreels before the movie6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels[if you were fortunate])7.Peashooters8. Howdy Doody9. 45 RPM records10.Hi-fi's11. Metal ice trays with lever12. Blue flashbulb13.Cork popguns14. Studebakers15. Wash tub wringers16. Out houseIf you remembered 0-3 = You're still youngIf you remembered 3-6 = You are getting olderIf you remembered 7-10  = Don't tell your age,If you remembered11-16 =You're older than dirt!

How about no AC in the trucks or house, and learning to drive with a three on the tree, and telephone booths. Our fast food was Castle Burgers, and A&W.

First test in a long time I scored a 100 on but I consider myself a young sprite. My youth was probably preserved from those glorious days of playing in the DDT when the plane dusted the fields. But don't tell AARP this because I don't want to forfeit my discounts.

100%.
My bicycle was under a shed (garage) and one night some cows got out and trampled my bicycle.
I never had another. It was a bicycle. Not a 'bike'.

Our ice maker just went out and my wife got some ice cube trays to get by with until ice maker gets replaced. But these modern(?) plastic ice trays do not have the lever. Aggravating.
When I was a younger kid we got ice when the ice man came by in his truck. The ice was put in an 'ice box'. After electrical refigerators came in I still called them an ice box for years. I resist change. :hat:

One thing I was glad to see go was that ice cream freezer with the crank you had to turn by hand. :bang:

I am not near as old as you guys but I pemeber all of them as well
but then again we were raised really poor

the only thing we never had when i was growing up on that list was an outhouse, But the church we attended had one until the mid to late seventies when at that time dad and a couple other neighbors had a well drilled so the church coulld have inside plumbing
They called it a community well and anyone in the community is allowed to use the water from it to this day
at the time several of the neighbors had shallow wells and in the summer they would go dry or become muddy so that is why dad and the others put a good one in at the church
we have used it several times to fill water tanks to water livestock with when we had ponds go dry
I remember one elderly lady in the community that didn't have a well one of the neighbors would fill a large tank and take water to her house and pump it out into a large holding tank every week so that she would have water her inside plumbing was hooked up gravity flow from a large tank sitting on a hill behind her house

I remember bout half of them. I was the paper boy for about 5 years. Anyone remember the banana seats on bikes? Or when power steering was just a fancy option on cars?

I reckon I got'em all right PLUS some....remember when you turned on the key in the truck and then pushed down on the starter on the floor?? Do you still know all the hand signals for driving ?? And mom never ironed our pants. She had 'Pants Stretchers' that you put down the legs of the pants, stretched them tight and then hung them on the clothes line. Several more come to mind but will stop here. Others may have even more.

I remember hauling cattle with my grandpa. He worked for the local sale barn. There were no trailers in those days, he had a large Dodge truck (maybe a 2 ton) with wooden fencing built around the flat bed. I recall the air conditioning unit was a crank in the middle of the dashtop that opened the windshield from the bottom to let the air in. Because his arm wasn't long enough to be seen around the pen from behind, he had this gadget that mounted on the outside of the door that gave the signals out past the mirror. He had a arm mounted inside that would control it for turning. It pointed up for right, straight out for left and down for slowing. It had yellow reflectors on it , I believe. All the farmers back then had chutes that went up to the bed of the truck instead of ground level. We've come a long way since then. Good memories!

Ryder":2edtwq8i said:
100%.
My bicycle was under a shed (garage) and one night some cows got out and trampled my bicycle.
I never had another. It was a bicycle. Not a 'bike'.

Our ice maker just went out and my wife got some ice cube trays to get by with until ice maker gets replaced. But these modern(?) plastic ice trays do not have the lever. Aggravating.
When I was a younger kid we got ice when the ice man came by in his truck. The ice was put in an 'ice box'. After electrical refigerators came in I still called them an ice box for years. I resist change. :hat:

One thing I was glad to see go was that ice cream freezer with the crank you had to turn by hand. :bang:

You mean the old fashioned ice cream makers ?

Mom and dad still have one of those, we take it to family reunions and everyone has to take their turn at it if they want ice cream. Isn't it the best ice cream ever though !

I remember candy cigarettes, the test pattern on our peasant vision TV and 45's . ;-)

No one mentioned the wringer washing machine. I remember mom running hte clothes thru one and she was glad to have it.

We got to watch Bonanza, "In living color" but our television was still black and white.

bbirder":360hlwmx said:
I remember hauling cattle with my grandpa. He worked for the local sale barn. There were no trailers in those days, he had a large Dodge truck (maybe a 2 ton) with wooden fencing built around the flat bed. I recall the air conditioning unit was a crank in the middle of the dashtop that opened the windshield from the bottom to let the air in. Because his arm wasn't long enough to be seen around the pen from behind, he had this gadget that mounted on the outside of the door that gave the signals out past the mirror. He had a arm mounted inside that would control it for turning. It pointed up for right, straight out for left and down for slowing. It had yellow reflectors on it , I believe. All the farmers back then had chutes that went up to the bed of the truck instead of ground level. We've come a long way since then. Good memories!

Pick up trucks would have what was called wooden frames or cattle racks. There used to be a member on here with the name catle rack rancher. I assumed that is what his name came from.

If there was no loading chute, just put the back wheels of the truck in a not too deep ditch. This would lower the bed enough that cattle and horses could be loaded. Although at times it required a lot of pulling on a rope and pushing from the rear.

backhoeboogie":24ncarc4 said:
No one mentioned the wringer washing machine. I remember mom running hte clothes thru one and she was glad to have it.

We got to watch Bonanza, "In living color" but our television was still black and white.

My grandma still used the old wringer machine until she moved to a assisted care facility at the age of 93 :shock: She had an electric dryer though.

I remember seeing the old raised loading chutes out west when I was a kid and wondering what they were for.. Grandma had one of the old washboards and hand crank wringer.my mom has her old pedal operated singer sewing machine.

When did 78 rpm records go away. how about curb feelers, standard equipment on cars and trucks didn;t include a heater.

hooknline":v56g5kf6 said:
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?''We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.  'All the food was slow.''C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?''It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. !  'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.  It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God.  It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.  Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line. Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was. All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week.  He had to get up at 6AM every morning.Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.Ignition switches on the dashboard.Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.Older Than Dirt Quiz :Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told aboutRatings at the bottom.1.Candy cigarettes2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles4. Party lines on the telephone5.Newsreels before the movie6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels[if you were fortunate])7.Peashooters8. Howdy Doody9. 45 RPM records10.Hi-fi's11. Metal ice trays with lever12. Blue flashbulb13.Cork popguns14. Studebakers15. Wash tub wringers16. Out houseIf you remembered 0-3 = You're still youngIf you remembered 3-6 = You are getting olderIf you remembered 7-10  = Don't tell your age,If you remembered11-16 =You're older than dirt!

LOL....writ by city folk..... :p

I guess you could say the closest "milk delivery" in the country was to the milking shed where you had to take it from the cow..... :) came to the house in buckets, not bottles.... :lol:

backhoeboogie":1ylfgnk5 said:

Boogie my grandmother heated her hot water in the wash pot too...then carried it to the washer with a bucket.

TexasBred":2s7wyn65 said:
backhoeboogie":2s7wyn65 said:

Boogie my grandmother heated her hot water in the wash pot too...then carried it to the washer with a bucket.
So did my Mom....

I remember all of them except one. We never had milk delivered to the house. I also remember threshing oats and helping my uncle skid logs with a team of horses, but I was maybe 10 the last time he did it that way. Who remembers why you always kept an empty tin can on the older tractors?

Latest posts