Older than dirt....but boy it was good

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy

Reaction score
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !
'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 19.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a..m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I never had a telephone in my room.The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.
Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES from a friend :
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.
How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.
Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes
2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes
3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4. Party lines on the telephone
5.Newsreels before the movie
6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
7.Peashooters
8. Howdy Doody
9. 45 RPM records
10.Hi-fi's
11. Metal ice trays with lever
12. Blue flashbulb
13.Cork popguns
14. Studebakers
15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 11-15 =You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends.....

chrisy":1gkcqdj2 said:
2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes

Coffee shops were in New York City, not in my town. Beatniks hung out in coffee shops and played bongos, for reasons no one remembers.
In my town, we had Diners or Soda Shops or Drive-Ins. Except for the drive ins, they all had the juke box at the table set-up. I saw a juke box a while back, and ONE FREAKING SONG was $1 USCurrency. If a titmouse recorded Mozart or sang Pagliaci I wouldn't pay a dollar to hear it only once.

6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])

They would play the national anthem when they signed on and signed off. "Staring at the test pattern" was slang for insomnia or drunkeness or depression.

8. Howdy Doody
Princess Winterfallsummerspring was a real hottie. Annette on the "Mickey Mouse Club" was hotter.

9. 45 RPM records
They were 98 cents, and now you pay that for one song on a jukebox.

10.Hi-fi's
There were two prices for albums. "Mono" was usually a little cheaper than "Stereo".

14. Studebakers
Studebaker was an Indiana company, and as they lurched toward the grave our state highway department bought a fleet of their pickup trucks. Until maybe '78, there were still a good number of those trucks on the road (private owners who bought them at state auctions)

15. Wash tub wringers
Most of us remember these as "warshtub wringers".

[/quote]

I remember all---except the coffee shop thing. when we went to the big town of Elgin I could have a soda at the drugstore,but didn't have enough change for music.

• Steel wheeled skates with a "skate key".
    Bull Durham in a Bag
    Prince Albert in a Can
    Lucky Strikes
    Fender Skirts
    White Sidewalled Tires
    Crank up rural telephones
    Outhouses at School
    Continental Kits
    Windup Toys
    "Tennis" Shoes (e.g., Keds)
    Ducktails
    Mohawks
    Flattops
    Bras (people type)
    Putting Peanuts in a Coke

hillsdown":1w26mty9 said:
Running Arrow Bill":1w26mty9 said:
Bull Durham in a Bag

quote]

You had Kevin Costner in a bag. :???: :lol: :p

Let him out before he suffocates! Or not... You seen his last couple of movies?? Me neither.

what about the flaps we put on the side of tires to make whitewalls
gas powered washing machine.
or the good old scrub board.
wood stoves with a hot water tank on the side.
many the cold morning I sat on the oven door to dress.

the only way milk was delivered to our house was in a leather bag with 4 teats on it and then you had to extract it your self and carry it to the house in a metal bucket then strain it thru cheesecloth into glass jars
we had party lines untilthe early 80s
I remember mom and dads studebakers we had 2
never ate pizza until I was 10yrs old

only went to town on saturdays and that wasn't every saturday

Knew every car that drove down the road

washed our clothes in a wringer washer until the late 70s mom still has 2 of them

by the time I came along we had indoor plumbing but I can remember when dad tore the outhouse down and filled the hole in

we never had AC in the house

Mom still has her 2 wood cookstoves and they are still hooked up and working

Remembr I was raised in Rural Missouri and we were about 25 yrs behind the rest of the country

Dam* I'm OLD !!! I remember it all---I also remember the main thing on my mine when I was young----And it wasn't the test pattern !!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Latest posts