Older Semen Tanks ?

Help Support CattleToday:

When you see frost forming on the outside of your tank it's time to replace! They are either good or bad, no failing involved. If the seal is broken the vacuum is gone, and vice versa.

Yes, if you see frost, you better be getting the semen transferred right away to a different tank. Increased nitrogen consumption rate is an early sign that your tank is losing its vacuum. I read 10 years and i think they can become less efficient and need sooner refilling.
Jenna
edit: spelling

I've only seen 2 tanks fail. One sat on a concrete flour at the dairy for years and the aluminum shell corroded through. The other was one that was dropped one to many times and the tank broke loose from the outer shell at the neck.

Most tank failures are indeed a gradual process. There is simply less nitrogen remaining in the tank at each service and this is easily monitored by recording the nitrogen measurement at each fill. If a tank has frost on the outside, the time frame to move the semen is very short as the tank has lost vacuum.

gpl":1fjk5mke said:
Most tank failures are indeed a gradual process. There is simply less nitrogen remaining in the tank at each service and this is easily monitored by recording the nitrogen measurement at each fill. If a tank has frost on the outside, the time frame to move the semen is very short as the tank has lost vacuum.

That is exactly what my tank did. My ABS rep noted the year before we replaced it that we needed to watch it closely because it was starting to lose nitrogen to quickly. Each time he came to fill, we would have him out a few eeks earlier it seemed. Finally he advised to have it inspected, since it was still under warranty. Our Genex rep who we buy semen from (Tammy Wallace) came and picked it up and brought a loaner. Several months later a new one was shipped to us. I'd hate to think what would have happened had we not watched it closely!

most tanks fail to hold a charge from the inside.by that i mean the shell breaks open.thats why you see the frost on the outside of the tank.buying an older tank and moving it could cause probs.

My tank is a 1979 model and still holding strong. I see no reason to get a new one yet. My rep told me they don't make em like they used to.

Latest posts