older semen in tank and old bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
I bought a semen tank recently and it has some older gelbvieh semen in it. I have looked up all the bulls and found epds, and pedigrees on them but looking for first hand experiences. the bulls that we in the tank were floto 2, preminition,
kcf mainstream, ellisoon, and ambush. There was also some freedom and advantage semen in there. Any one use any of the older bulls or know anything about them .

We have a Floto II daughter who is 14 years old and still youthful looking with nice udder. I'm not sure if this is typical for Floto II progeny, but she needs to be bred to powerful bulls to get decent offspring. When bred to more refined bulls the calves tend to lack overall thickness.

I've never had any Ellison calves but heard from others that they were good doing cattle and decent phenotypically.

If you contact the folks at Bull Barn Genetics in Nebraska they can share more details on these bulls. They've been in the Gelbvieh business for years and also distribute a fair amount of Gelbvieh semen.

Preminition is a Genex bull that won the Iowa Beef Expo a few years back and Genex bought him. They still sell semen on him. I have two Gelbvieh cross daughters in production from him and they have done nicely.

Floto II is likely a Fullblood, I have heard of him, but he was before my time.

I think Ellison was a stout, black Gelbvieh bull from about 10 years ago when the black hided thing really took off in the breed. He may have some Eagle Pass breeding, but I'm not sure.

Any bulls with the KCF prefix will be from Knoll Crest Farms. Most of their genetics show strong growth epd's, but sometimes aren't as attractive patterned as you would like to see.

You mentioned Freedom & Advantage. I'm not sure if you were wanting info on them as well, but in case you don't know, these have been two of the most popular bulls in the breed the past few years. Freedom was far and away the most heavily used bull in the breed for about 4 years. His progeny grow well, come early, and are very attractive. Freedom progeny have dominated the show ring and breed sales. His milk epd's really took a dive over the past couple of sire summaries. I never useed M/L advantage although he sports a really complete set of epd's and I believe he is homozygous black and homozygous polled. He is an extremely long patterned bull.

Hope this helps.

Smoky

Re ;Advantage
Use on cows that need more length and frame. Good stought deep cows work best but be careful they can get too tall and tight gutted if used on the wrong cows. But my experience is that the are good cattle come easily, all polled, all black , good disposition, awesome hair, very angusy head, good fertility and milk. I will forewarn you some don't look that good when young they are off colored and a bit stringy looking as babies but by ten months of age you will be putting them in the keeper pen if you don'y give up on them too soon. I have had good luck with them so if i could get more canadian qalified semen i would buy more i like the calves when off the right type of cow.

Latest posts