Older bulls throw larger calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

WFfarm

Reaction score
I was old by a vet once that the older a bull gets, the larger his calves will be, by the same cows. It didn't make any since because the genetics doesn't change with the bull as he grows? Has anyone else heard this or seen it in reality?

I have heard some of the old timer cattlemen say that, but I don't think there is anything to it. Just my opinion which ain't worth much, but it may be an observation that is actually manifested on the cow side of the equation. Maybe as cows get some age they stay in good shape better than when they were still growing themselves as a first calf heifer and more of their nutrition was going to the calf inside.

That's an old belief..some around here still say it...he's not changing genetics..the breeder is doing that by retaining the sires heifers..and then line breeding..

If the bull could throw larger calves as he got older ,what pray tell, would keep him from changing the color or his calves?
That dog won't hunt........

Genetics don't change with age. Two things that do influence weight of calves is feed/protein of the cow- and studies show the temperature/climate influences weights. After colder rough winters we get higher birth weights as the cows put more energy towards trying to make sure the calves live. On warmer less severe weathers the same bulls/cows will have lower birthweights.

Genetics don't change with age. Two things that do influence weight of calves is feed/protein of the cow- and studies show the temperature/climate influences weights. After colder rough winters we get higher birth weights as the cows put more energy towards trying to make sure the calves live. On warmer less severe weathers the same bulls/cows will have lower birthweights.
Interesting observation.... will have to try to check this out and see if we see any difference

I'm with @gcreekrch on that.... have 2 easy calving "heifer bulls" that we bought in 2011 and 2012.... still using them on heifers. Calves are 60 - maybe 70 lbs.... every year... Gentle easy breeders. Have no plans to replace until they don't do the job or get rough or anything. They are 10 yrs old plus....

Bucket feeding cows will produce big calves if your not very careful.

This weather environment hasn't just been my observation over the years but is also been shown in some experiment station studies. Also in mine and others use of A.I. Bulls we've noticed that a bull being used in Montana will average heavier birth weights then a bull being used in Texas.
"The six-year study found the coldest winter (11 degrees colder than the warmest winter) resulted in calf birth weights 11 pounds heavier when compared to the warmest winter."

Genetics don't change with age. Two things that do influence weight of calves is feed/protein of the cow- and studies show the temperature/climate influences weights.
Agree. I'm also convinced the dam contributes ~ 60% or more to the resultant Bwt due to the above factors & her contribution of the uterine environment.

I was old by a vet once that the older a bull gets, the larger his calves will be, by the same cows. It didn't make any since because the genetics doesn't change with the bull as he grows? Has anyone else heard this or seen it in reality?

I never heard that one but my father in law always said that an older bull would throw heifers instead of bulls.. it happened with his bull I don't know about any one else's though I don't hang on to bulls until they get old.

The old feller was wrong. The bull's genetics don't change. If he's a calving-ease bull at 18 months, he's still a calving-ease bull at 10 years.
Late winter-born calves have the potential to be heavier... not because the cows are trying to make sure their calves have a better shot at survival(they don't have a clue, but Ma Nature does)... but because cold temperatures cause peripheral vasoconstriction(blood flow to extremities is limited) in order to conserve body heat, and in doing so, more blood is shunted to internal core organs, including the uterus... thus, enhanced fetal nourishment and growth.

I never heard that one but my father in law always said that an older bull would throw heifers instead of bulls.. it happened with his bull I don't know about any one else's though I don't hang on to bulls until they get old.
I've heard the female sex sperm is more viral at entering the egg, but the male sex sperm are faster swimmers. So to have more of a change for male offspring, you need a longer race. Has something to do with anatomy.

Latest posts