Older Broodmare not doing so well

Help Support CattleToday:

spinandslide

Reaction score
My older broodmare, who is 18, was put in the broodmare band after she injured her hamstring years ago when she was a cutting horse(the muscle area is ROCK hard!). well, shes walked with a stiff limp on her R hind and lately its gotten worse. :( but I buted her and let her be, some winters it seems to be worse then others. Shes not pregnant, so theres no extra weight. vet says its something that will bother her from time to time.

Yesterday, found her with her leg completly swollen from midway down the cannon bone to below her fetlock. :frowns: I put some thermaflex on her and wrapped her up, and buted. Hoping it will go down.

Kind of made me realize that shes no spring chicken anymore and that leg is probably going to be whats going to do her in in the end.

Thanks for letting me share. Just kind of frustrating.

Sarah

Is it cold where you are? Is she better in warm weather?? Damit,I hate it when those hard choices have to be made..You're gonna have to have a long talk with yourself..

peg4x4":1c2hmgf4 said:
Is it cold where you are? Is she better in warm weather?? Damit,I hate it when those hard choices have to be made..You're gonna have to have a long talk with yourself..
ITs been pretty warm, and then some cold days..about 3 years ago she had issues like this during the winter. Shes walking better this AM..Im going to just keep an eye. She has been ecellent with getting wrapped and getting bute..

I hate to be the one to bring it up, cause I have put down two mares of my own one we had for 28 years, the other only 12 years , but I couldn't stand to see them suffer. the oldest one was 32 years old the other was 23, and they are both buried under the sycamore tree at the end of the house. I hope yours doesn't come to that.

Latest posts