Older Aluminum Livestock Trailer Value?

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
I've been trying to find a 16' x 6'8" or 7' aluminum gooseneck livestock trailer. I've found that least in my area they are not easy to find. I did find one about 6 hours away a 1994 Sooner 16' x 6'8" Aluminum trailer that seems to be in great shape it does have a aluminum floor as some that age do not. They say it's been kept under a barn it's whole life. I was wanting a 16' cause I thought it would be a handy as a run around trailer for going to sales delivering bulls etc. Any thoughts on what this trailer should be worth? Thanks B&G

Those aluminum trailers in good shape seem to hold their value pretty good. One would think as cheap as aluminum has gotten prices would come down, but I haven't seem it anywhere yet. Condition is everything and if in good shape $6000 for a 16'. I sold a 20' 1991 Feather-lite a couple years ago for $7500.

FWIW - Just bought a new 16'x6'-8" Aluminum CM for $9,700. The few used aluminum trailers I found were 75% the cost of a new one.

Thanks for the responses. Here's a pic of the 1994 Sooner I've found that I can buy for $6250. I have found others but they we're new priced like Alpine stated. B&G

We have a 24' featherlite purchased new in 1999 still as good as new they hold up and hold their value. Give them a good acid wash, pack the bearings keep a check on the breaks and tires and they will last as long as you do.

Gizmom

gizmom":2qjhaxtq said:
We have a 24' featherlite purchased new in 1999 still as good as new they hold up and hold their value. Give them a good acid wash, pack the bearings keep a check on the breaks and tires and they will last as long as you do.

Gizmom

I have a 2008 Travalong 24' x 7' 6". It seems silly to drag it around to Reg. auctions and deliver bulls and such with so much trailer. Trying to figure if I can justify having one for jumpimg around. B&G

Black and Good":3ssz2t6p said:
Thanks for the responses. Here's a pic of the 1994 Sooner I've found that I can buy for $6250. I have found others but they we're new priced like Alpine stated. B&G

Looks good, is that price after you haggled ???

Black and Good":1ghwpubs said:
gizmom":1ghwpubs said:

Gizmom

I have a 2008 Travalong 24' x 7' 6". It seems silly to drag it around to Reg. auctions and deliver bulls and such with so much trailer. Trying to figure if I can justify having one for jumpimg around. B&G

It would take a very very long time for a second trailer to ever pay for itself. Only way to justify that purchase, is to just say I want it, so I'm getting it. I just use my 24' for everything. It's overkill most of the time, but the tires dry rot, before I wear them out, so I'm not using it enough as is.

ALACOWMAN":3nsf2usb said:
Black and Good":3nsf2usb said:

Looks good, is that price after you haggled ???

Yep, that's after the dust settled. LOL. B&G

Bigfoot":cht94dng said:
Black and Good":cht94dng said:
gizmom":cht94dng said:

Gizmom

It would take a very very long time for a second trailer to ever pay for itself. Only way to justify that purchase, is to just say I want it, so I'm getting it. I just use my 24' for everything. It's overkill most of the time, but the tires dry rot, before I wear them out, so I'm not using it enough as is.

Good point, Bigfoot. That's kinda why I was thinking aluminum cause of how they hold their value. B&G

That looks like a good buy on that trailer to me. That was the best era for Sooner trailers - those were very well built. You'll love pulling that one. Whether you can justify it or not is really up to you - it's hard to make 2 of any kind of equipment dollar out on paper for all but the larger operations. You're the one that knows how much you'll use it. I'm sure many would say we're not big enough to justify 2 trailers, much less the 3 we have, but I'll guarantee you the one we pull the least goes more miles in a year than most other folks one trailer does.

The older trailers have thicker aluminum as the 1991 I sold was noticeable thicker metal than the newer Featherless.

25 year old aluminum gooseneck livestock trailer.... $5,000 - $9,500 depending on make, model and condition.
$6,250 for the 24 yr old Sooner pictured should be worth $6,000 - $7,500

Thanks everyone, for the help with this trailer. Looks like I'm going to make a road trip and look at it to buy. If I don't use it enough. I believe I can turn it in my area easily and hopefully cover the trip. It's about 6 1/2 hours away. B&G

All old trailers will need some welding at some point. That one looks good. Wish I could find a reasonable 20 footer for jiggin around small loads. - they want more for used ones now, than they cost new.

Update: I did make the trip and get this little trailer! Boy, I'm glad I did this thing like new condition. I've already had like five people try and buy it. So, the 7 hour trip was worth the effort. Thanks for you alls input. B&G

Latest posts