old weak cow

Help Support CattleToday:

oldtata

Reaction score
I have an old cow that has almost stopped eating. She seems to be urinating a lot. Gave her la 200 last night. Any ideas?

Ship her to the sale barn. Get something for her as a hamburger price versus digging a hole.

When a cow starts weaning lighter calves, it is usually a sign of age or her teeth going. It is best to sell them before they go down hill.

Keep a watch on their teeth. Short and solid is okay to keep.

Probably cystitis, if so its very hard to treat, take BHB's advice while you still can.

backhoeboogie":1dlf1wj2 said:
Ship her to the sale barn. Get something for her as a hamburger price versus digging a hole.

When a cow starts weaning lighter calves, it is usually a sign of age or her teeth going. It is best to sell them before they go down hill.

He will have to wait at least 42 days now before he ships her.

hillsdown":3w0izvh4 said:
backhoeboogie":3w0izvh4 said:

The withdrawal on LA200 in the states is 30 days as I recall.

Excessive urination can be a sign of kidney problems... shoulda shipped her rather than treated, but too late now.

I was just going by my bottle of LAP and it says 42 days. I have no experience with LA200 ,but I always say to go longer than suggested before shipping anyways as most people are just eyeballing the weight of their cattle.

From the insert with the bottle:

Discontinue treatment at least 28 days prior to slaughter of cattle and swine.

La 200 has different times depending on SQ or IM. Here it is 48 for IM.
As well, the generics of LA 200 seem to have a shorter time of withdrawl.
allamycin is 42 IM
Oxyvet is 21 IM and 42 SQ
actual LA 200, I do not have in here to say.

Odds are against you when you try to get one more calf out of old bossy. Give her a few days after the withdrawal and if she is still up and about sell her.

hillsdown":c8lwaqit said:
backhoeboogie":c8lwaqit said:

hd, I can't believe it :shock: Where is the "call the Vet"? :eek: ;-)

Latest posts