Old uruguayan cattle fences

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I went the other day to the farm and took some pictures of what we use before the wire arrived here :cowboy:
In the ol'days the farms and the "blocks" inside the farms were separated by this type of fence, you can still see them for miles and miles in some places.

d5.jpg

d6.jpg

Sometimes even the "new" wire cattle fences were built along this stone's lines

d7.jpg

A red partdrige called martineta, it's much bigger than the common partdrige.

d2.jpg

Common partdrige

d15.jpg

I am having some kind of virus alert each time I am try to reach the forums from the main web site of Cattle today, have any of you saw it ??

L

Lorenzo":7n687hh1 said:
I am having some kind of virus alert each time I am try to reach the forums from the main web site of Cattle today, have any of you saw it ??

L

According to Google Chrome, it's saying some "malware" from Gumblar.cn may have invaded CT. I've gone to using it as a browser because IE has almost stopped working on a couple of my computers.

We've got old rock fences like that in some places in Texas as well.

George

Nice photos Lorenzo. Large straight trees that were easily split were plentiful in many areas of the U.S. of A. before wire arrived here. Consequently the fence of choice in my area at that time was split rail. Several stacked stones fences were laid here also. Unfortunately many have been dismantled and moved to estates in surburbia.

I have enough rock on my farm to build many and many miles fence like that. I get so tired of picking rocks out of fields.

Interesting pics, lots of rock and all by back breaking work. Where I'm at the country wasn't settled until after barb wire.

You still see a lot of those old rock fences in the countryside of Mexico. The only sensible thing to do since they have an abundance of "building materials". Just gotta be a young man and/or have a strong back to build one. Not for me. ;-)

TexasBred":tpa6w8a2 said:
You still see a lot of those old rock fences in the countryside of Mexico. The only sensible thing to do since they have an abundance of "building materials". Just gotta be a young man and/or have a strong back to build one. Not for me. ;-)
ive never seen a mexican that looked strong enough too stack rocks that big...are all mexican 4 ft nothing and 90 pnds

alacattleman":1ik9nit7 said:
TexasBred":1ik9nit7 said:
ive never seen a mexican that looked strong enough too stack rocks that big...are all mexican 4 ft nothing and 90 pnds

99% of them are...some way or another they get things done tho....they did build a lot of big pyramids....but very very slowly between siestas and festivals.

Latest posts