Old Timer Made me Second Guess Myself

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":kdyx34x4 said:
Hope your right. His auction seats are only about 1/4 full and mostly meat packers and feed lot buyers. The other 2 auctions in the area there is hardly sitting room. If you are right, his help will run him into the ground, looks like it almost has. The other auctions are booming. If he is happy with only feedlots and meatpackers, he is doing it right. Either way I am fine. Had a great day today. Felt bad I got so mad yesterday. Usually dont get so pizzed. Figure things happen for a reason. Atleast I didnt lose money. Off next Saturday to go the auction in Gonzalez. They have a lot more animals to chose from. And I will take my cows with me when I leave. :D

Well pal your screwing up, that's exactly the barn you need to be buying at. One bid over kill price and you can most of the animals at that sale. Any time you have to bid against someone who thinks the animal is worth buying to bring back to the farm your paying to much. To me this is just good ole common cow sense, use it.[/quote]

A few bucks ain't worth dealing with a crook or a halfaz. Its bad business to associate yourself with such.

Thank you TrueGrit for giving me a different way to look at this. I have been burned enough in my life to develop an attitude of mistrust. For all the opinions and advice on this board I am truly grateful. That is the reason I'm here. Thanks! Seriously.

callmefence":38ux0v8d said:
True Grit Farms":38ux0v8d said:
Hope your right. His auction seats are only about 1/4 full and mostly meat packers and feed lot buyers. The other 2 auctions in the area there is hardly sitting room. If you are right, his help will run him into the ground, looks like it almost has. The other auctions are booming. If he is happy with only feedlots and meatpackers, he is doing it right. Either way I am fine. Had a great day today. Felt bad I got so mad yesterday. Usually dont get so pizzed. Figure things happen for a reason. Atleast I didnt lose money. Off next Saturday to go the auction in Gonzalez. They have a lot more animals to chose from. And I will take my cows with me when I leave. :D

Well pal your screwing up, that's exactly the barn you need to be buying at. One bid over kill price and you can most of the animals at that sale. Any time you have to bid against someone who thinks the animal is worth buying to bring back to the farm your paying to much. To me this is just good ole common cow sense, use it.

A few bucks ain't worth dealing with a crook or a halfaz. Its bad business to associate yourself with such.[/quote]
Back in the day stalls full of cattle under the previous owner. One of the busiest auction in the area. Now about to go out of business.

Two things. I always take the trailer if I even think I might buy something. I don't like any cattle I buy to spend the night at the sale yard. I even avoid buying ones that they announce having came in a day early.
Second I would have told them that I want my cattle back not the money. They might say that they can't get them back to which I would reply it isn't my problem. It is their problem. And an expensive one at that. They were your cattle bought and paid for. It was their mistake that they are not there for you to pick up. They are out nothing for making the mistake. They gave you your money back but they bill the feedlot for the purchase price of the cattle. I might have eventually taken the money but not before making kiss some serious rear.

Dave":1ezcux3n said:
Two things. I always take the trailer if I even think I might buy something. I don't like any cattle I buy to spend the night at the sale yard. I even avoid buying ones that they announce having came in a day early.
Second I would have told them that I want my cattle back not the money. They might say that they can't get them back to which I would reply it isn't my problem. It is their problem. And an expensive one at that. They were your cattle bought and paid for. It was their mistake that they are not there for you to pick up. They are out nothing for making the mistake. They gave you your money back but they bill the feedlot for the purchase price of the cattle. I might have eventually taken the money but not before making kiss some serious rear.
I assure you I will never leave my cattle overnight at any auction again. Trailer will be on my truck in the parking lot. But also let me add there is small town politics involved. I live in such a small town, everyone knows everyone. I am the outsider being I have not been there 20 years. Thats why I will just not go back. Not sure how many connections, what kind of network I might lose in the future. It may be a bad operation there but not everyone going there is a bad guy. I dont want to be known around town as the arse from Houston that throws a fit and no one wants to deal with. I just wont go back. I will choose where I do business in the future from the way I am treated in the present. I am building a reputation as a man of my word, hard worker. I came to town on the respect of my Grandfather. He was highly regarded in the community. When I introduce myself to someone thats been around the cattle industry there more then 20 years, they say are you related to So and So, he was a GOOD MAN. Thats how I had the first comnections with my neighbors. Now its how I conduct myself with others. If someone ask about the auction I will be honest and let them know why I will never go back. That is my responsibility.

But referring back to one of the previous comments those cattle coming back from the feedlot probably would have brought back a viral pneumonia with my luck

It happens. That aint the only black baldie or tiger stripe heifer in the world. Go back next week and buy a couple more just like em. They make more cattle every day!!!!!

BK9954":5d54se0c said:
But referring back to one of the previous comments those cattle coming back from the feedlot probably would have brought back a viral pneumonia with my luck

No bigger chance of them coming back with a bug than there was with them spending a night at the sale yard.

If someone else took your cattle from the sale barn.. wouldn't that effectively be cattle rustling?.. offering to pay you for them seems like an easy out at that point.

Nesikep":1ondof0m said:
If someone else took your cattle from the sale barn.. wouldn't that effectively be cattle rustling?.. offering to pay you for them seems like an easy out at that point.

That was my point. The sale gave him his money back but they will collect it from the feedlot. They screwed up but are out nothing. I would at least make the sweat a little before taking my money back.

The history of this auction is it is almost been run into the ground after being one of the busiest. The auction on the Wednesday before that was taken over by a new owner has become one of the biggest in the area. Not by coincidence.

BK9954":2s7igkj6 said:
The history of this auction is it is almost been run into the ground after being one of the busiest. The auction on the Wednesday before that was taken over by a new owner has become one of the biggest in the area. Not by coincidence.

If you were aware of all there problems,why did you not bring your trailer to the sale? If you were aware of things going in ,I can not muster up much sympathy. :2cents:

BK9954":3mk14szm said:
Welcome to the cattle auction world. Have seen many come and go. Very few stay good forever. Just learn and keep going and learning more.

kenny thomas":2wucjbz0 said:
BK9954":2wucjbz0 said:
Welcome to the cattle auction world. Have seen many come and go. Very few stay good forever. Just learn and keep going and learning more.
Went to my vet yesterday, the consensus there with all the help and the doc is that what it was an inside job based on the history of that auction. He said he has heard some bad things about that place but nothing this bad. At the auction down the road this morning. Brought my trailer. Should go better then the last dive.

We almost always take the trailer when we go...if we don't we always have to go home and get it; if we take it we often don't buy anything, but then can haul a load for someone in our direction.

BK9954":3vedhc3p said:
kenny thomas":3vedhc3p said:
BK9954":3vedhc3p said:
Went to my vet yesterday, the consensus there with all the help and the doc is that what it was an inside job based on the history of that auction. He said he has heard some bad things about that place but nothing this bad. At the auction down the road this morning. Brought my trailer. Should go better then the last dive.
Give us a report on today's sale, should be higher.

Heifers going 1.20-1.80's. Breds going up to $1150, steers holding anywhere from 1.10-1.90's. Bulls were up into the .70's Wasnt a large turnout today. Whenever there is heavy rain muddy pastures prevent some guys from hauling their trailers into town. I didnt see anything I was going to buy. I am heading back next Saturday. Heck slaughter cows were in the .50s-.60's

BK9954":1su44t7b said:
Heifers going 1.20-1.80's. Breds going up to $1150, steers holding anywhere from 1.10-1.90's. Bulls were up into the .70's Wasnt a large turnout today. Whenever there is heavy rain muddy pastures prevent some guys from hauling their trailers into town. I didnt see anything I was going to buy. I am heading back next Saturday. Heck slaughter cows were in the .50s-.60's
Sounds like prices were a lot higher than here. Haven't seen a 1.50 calf in months.

kenny thomas":3mi96bq9 said:
BK9954":3mi96bq9 said:
Sounds like prices were a lot higher than here. Haven't seen a 1.50 calf in months.
The heifers I am looking for in the 600# range were going around 1.20's-1.30. There just werent enough of them to choose from. Guys saying with all the rain people are buying here. I have had green grass growing for the last month. Met a guy I bought hay from last year. He has gone down from $50 to $30 a bale on haygrazer delivered. Pretty hot wet year here, people still have hay all over the place. I might just take him up on his offer.

This is the market report from last week.