old sim herd

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Had a few minutes yesterday and looked for some of our old papers on our sim cow herd we had back in the 80s and 90s...Found one folder..

This folder is full of bull and heifers we bough back when the kids were showing reg sims...
Had fun going back and looking at all the names that, at the time, meant a lot to me. Not sure how i had any time to do any cow things back then, but i did.

Skyla was dark red w/f and most of our black w/fs are a product of her or daughters we kept from her.

And a lot of full sims from the earlier reg sims continued to turn black when we added the new black sim bulls. Back then though, they did not look like the black sims today. This may be the sire of BBS, passes on his big weanling. We used this bull a long time. Wished we still had the papers for our 80s sims. Nothing like what most of the posters here ever saw. Rough and giants, we earned our stripes with those bulls.
Around the turn of the century is when we switched to angus. We ran a few simbras along the way and bought a few simbra heifers, but we found them hard to show for the kids and never went in that direction. We do have some simbra mixed in, you can see which cows have it in them. We havent had a full simbra in years, so anything we do have will be no more than 1/2 and she'll be a very old cow. We had one of the first solid black simbra bulls, he was an oddity at the time and brought from the same breeder. I called him Mr Mustache. He threw very few solid black, he's were we got the brown swiss looking cows. He threw a lot of brown and most of the browns we have will be a descendant of his.
In the 80s and 90s the majority of our cattle were sims out of these reg animals. Yes, we had some from the 70 and early 80s that werent, but we kept most of the heifers from these reg cows and bulls and added them to our herd. By the turn of the century, its what our herd was made of. We added the angus bulls to turn our mostly red sim herd into a black sim/angus herd. And that is where we are today. I cant tell you the % of most of our herd, we keep a certain look not %. Our old herd is not like the rest of the younger herds. They are the old last of our hayday reg herd. We have very few left now, culled most last fall. It was a sad time, saying goodbye to many cows my kids picked to show.
With a commercial herd our objective is to raise a calf buyers want. Around us, its black, black w/f. And of course, we want them as big as we can get them at weaning...I cannot tell you the % of every calf we sell or of every heifer we keep. I can tell you what influence they have..

I think my kids took all their show photos, but i came across this one. This is a simbra cross commercial heifer. I remember this one jumping out of the trim chute and running off with my daughter hanging onto the lead rope on the ground. This was the only simbra cross they showed, we found them kind of hard to work with even if you start out early. One minute sweet, the next the devil...