old sayings

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Around Robin Hoods barn---Now I can figgure out "Beat around the bush",but who was robin hood and where was his barn

Peg, here's all I could find on it:

Reference to Robin Hood, the legendary outlaw, whose barn was simply the fields and pastures surrounding Sherwood forest, his home. "Around Robin Hood's barn" simply means all around the countryside, all through the fields and pastures

I've never heard that one. My husband made fun of me for saying "the devil's beating his wife" for when you get a sun shower. I had to look it up for him to show him it wasn't something I'd made up.

Never heard that Robin Hood saying. Have heard the one about the devil beating his wife. Have you ever heard the saying "Pooted in the Gourd"? My Grandaddy used to say that about something or someone that had died.

ga. prime":3ujhkkb4 said:
Never heard that Robin Hood saying. Have heard the one about the devil beating his wife. Have you ever heard the saying "Pooted in the Gourd"? My Grandaddy used to say that about something or someone that had died.
sure it wasn't 'Potted in the Gourd'? heard that one.

Mabe that's the way he heard it when he was a kid and that stuck.

peg4x4":3duj4f1d said:
Mabe that's the way he heard it when he was a kid and that stuck.

Could be peg, but my Grandpa had his own intentionally unique way of pronouncing things. For instance, instead of saying "that's a coincedence", he'd say "well now, isn't that a co-inky-dink". :D

There was a woman in town when I was growing up,would tell the postmisteress to mark a package frag-i-lee. also my Gma said hisn't for isn't and hant for aint.

Latest posts