Old registered pregnant angus $750

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
An old rancher is selling 2 old 6 months bred registered angus for $750 each. I looked up epds they ain't anything great , but the price is. I am thinking of buying them letting them wean the calf's . Keeping registered calf's and selling moms, basically free registered calf's . Cows are about 1,400 pounds. I have included their epds. Should I buy ? Any ideas ?

Slaughter price is about .52 a pound here. Plan is to try and breed them back and sell them on Craigslist. If not off to the plant.

It's one of those deals that work out real sweet or really bite you in the arse.

Who are they bred to? Will you be able to register the calves? They have had almost no actual data reported, so actual EPDs could be much better or worse. I see one is a daughter of Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C. He was a popular sire of show calves in his day and semen is expensive when I have seen it sold. If they are indeed bred 6 months to a decent registered bull and they are healthy sound cows, it sounds like a good deal. At +50 cents per pound you will get your money back when you sell the cows. I would check disposition though. Saugahatchee had a bad reputation for disposition issues. I had an attractive Saugahatchee daughter that I ended up culling at an early age because she was very aggressive around her calves. She became a danger to be around. You had to keep an eye on her all of the time.

Yes will be able to register calves. The epd data didn't seem very good . Breed to a registered bull. Or worse case just re sell them ASAP. I don't think I would keep them more than 1 calf.

My other option without spending $2,500 a cow , is $1000 a head for four 16 month old "open" heifers.

14 y/o isn't that old IMO but again I believe in longtivity and select for it. We sorted old cows last week. Have 21 head 14 y/0 old and older. The oldest around 17. Everyone has a calf or had a calf this year. 8 are currently dry but weaned big calves a while back and all 8 will calf before Dec. A few wintered a little harder last winter but fat now and will be sold. The others will be kept another year as a calf will be worth more than they will bring at the sale. Sounds like a good deal to me provided they have longtivity. Too many Angus and Herefords have lost that.

I could always roll the dice and try for 2 calves. Before I send them to MC Donald's

He bought some hay off me and we started talking. He bought them and threw them in with his commercial herd. He is low on grass so he is gonna let go of his oldest cows. Pictures he showed they are definitely healthy and thick. I could throw them on Craigslist and sell them in a week.

If they're in good shape, why not? Decent price. FWIW, I have a few that 14 and older, are raising good calves (as they always have) and are in good shape and are bred back and I'm keeping them. Similar to elkwc, I prefer longevity, and have a couple of maternal lines that are good for that.

Latest posts