Old registered pregnant angus $750

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":selgw821 said:
I thought it was a common practice for registered Angus breeders to sell older cows way before that age...

What I see it depends on the PB breeder (both Hereford and Angus breeders). There are those that believe in the fast turnover of generations. Then there are the breeders who realize longtivity is what makes the commercial breeder money and breeds for that also. In a recent Hereford partial dispersal I looked through there were many in the 11-15 y/o range. I've seen several Angus herds the same. That is the herds and cow lines I try to buy bulls from. Had one PB Angus breeder tell me last week that by the time a bull or cow was 6 y/o they should be moved. I disagree.

elkwc":1fpu49lb said:
ALACOWMAN":1fpu49lb said:
I thought it was a common practice for registered Angus breeders to sell older cows way before that age...

What I see it depends on the PB breeder (both Hereford and Angus breeders). There are those that believe in the fast turnover of generations. Then there are the breeders who realize longtivity is what makes the commercial breeder money and breeds for that also. In a recent Hereford partial dispersal I looked through there were many in the 11-15 y/o range. I've seen several Angus herds the same. That is the herds and cow lines I try to buy bulls from. Had one PB Angus breeder tell me last week that by the time a bull or cow was 6 y/o they should be moved. I disagree.
i guess for a seed stock producer that prime productive age is a good time to move her elsewhere ""make them the most money""....for a commercial mans replacement 6 years is just at the age to start paying for herself...

ALACOWMAN":2ulncs9v said:
elkwc":2ulncs9v said:
ALACOWMAN":2ulncs9v said:

i guess for a seed stock producer that prime productive age is a good time to move her elsewhere ""make them the most money""....for a commercial mans replacement 6 years is just at the age to start paying for herself...

I agree. The PB I'm talking about was on FB. He said he could tell that I raised crappy cattle because I retained them so long. And then went on state that if you kept a cow or bull longer than 6 years you weren't progressing your herd. We are each entitled to our opinions. And like you I feel a cow don't start making money until her 5-6 y/o years. And that was just one breeders opinions I know many who would disagree.

Here are the pics. He also sold me a heifer calf out of final answer for $1000 she is in the pic and registered.

elkwc":kzcpwobi said:
ALACOWMAN":kzcpwobi said:
elkwc":kzcpwobi said:

I agree. The PB I'm talking about was on FB. He said he could tell that I raised crappy cattle because I retained them so long. And then went on state that if you kept a cow or bull longer than 6 years you weren't progressing your herd. We are each entitled to our opinions. And like you I feel a cow don't start making money until her 5-6 y/o years. And that was just one breeders opinions I know many who would disagree.
he's been drinking too much of that kool aid....probably getting all his experience setting at the feet of angus gurus.... the ones at the top, of the " do it this way"""pyramid.....

Lrj505":2ex3tqu3 said:
Here are the pics. He also sold me a heifer calf out of final answer for $1000 she is in the pic and registered.

Nice cows

I totally agree with longevity in the herd. The most money is made from cows that have paid for themselves - through raising you a bunch of calves. And I'm kinda a purebred breeder, LOL
Here's one I just took a pic of for another thread. She will be 13 in Jan.

And, she is no where near culling. Has raised 13 calves (two sets of twins). Due to calve tomorrow.