Old photo

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
oufotos001-1-1.jpg

The thread with the black hereford bull got me thinking how hard can it be to replicate a certain phenotype by combining with other breeds?

Any guesses what the make up of this calf (that dates back to my pre-hereford breeder days) is? Also tell me which breed's phenotype this calf more closely resembles.

I'll limited the options, there is no continental and no indicus/sanga influence at all.

I'd guess just hereford. but thats probably wrong.

I agree. I'd say straight hereford.

That is the responses I was hoping to get. The calf looked typical old style hereford complete with sloped horns and turned out to be a very good cow. As that heifer matured she looked just like any purebred hereford cow.

The interesting part is that she is only 50% hereford, the rest is 25% angus and 25% holstein. In the photo below you can see a little of her dam as they were going down the race to be dipped.

Now it begs the question why are the breeders of the so-called black herefords strugling so badly to get the phenotype to even remotely resemble a good hereford?

oufotos001-1.jpg

KNERSIE":2rzl33qx said:
Now it begs the question why are the breeders of the so-called black herefords strugling so badly to get the phenotype to even remotely resemble a good hereford?

What am I missing? It took half a dozen guesses to identify this gal as a crossbred Hereford. Yet, you say breeders of Black Herefords are struggling?

I must have missed some picures, but this bull looks pretty good to me.

http://www.blackhereford.com/

Frankie":38w6vx6o said:
KNERSIE":38w6vx6o said:

What am I missing? It took half a dozen guesses to identify this gal as a crossbred Hereford. Yet, you say breeders of Black Herefords are struggling?

I must have missed some picures, but this bull looks pretty good to me.

http://www.blackhereford.com/
if his question had of been what breeding does she resemble and "nothing else" i bet the half dozen would have hereford....too me she looks so herefordy i wouldnt even start guess at her... the bull you posted looks like a average hereford

Maybe they didn't use a Horned Hereford but rather one of those polled mutants of yours. :lol:

jhambley":2m4or7e6 said:

Maybe they didn't use a Horned Hereford but rather one of those polled mutants of yours. :lol:

Yeah the ones with the hydro water heads, curly calves, and fawn calf syndrome all thrown into a funnell butt package.

Latest posts