Old Moose Antlers

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Someday I'm going to take down those moose antlers and fix them up. Been wanting to do that for a while. I have no idea how old they are, but I DO know that they're quite a bit older'n me; they've been up on the old house ever since I could remember. I guess you could call them "antique".

Here's a (crappy) pic of them:
011.jpg

They look like still got a bit of moose-hide on the part of the skull the horns are attached to, I could leave it there I guess. :? And I know the first thing I have to do is take them down (CAREFULLY) before I can get started. That rack is probably pretty big, considering that it's kinda high up in the old house. I think those rafters are maybe 3' apart...and that's just a wild guess.

So any ideas I can do to fix up those antique pair of antlers? Should I soak 'em first in peroxide before I apply varnish, or just varnish them as they are?

And what do you think should i do with them when I do get them down and fixed up?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Do NOT varnish them. :cry2: That will cause them to look phoney, turn a funny color, peel and look weird. :shock: . :frowns: Use a stain, like a light brown shoe polish or a good oil furniture stain. Clean them up good first, with just wet rags then let dry good before the stain. Then rub the stain into the antlers with cloth.

mnmtranching":nkg13xsu said:
Do NOT varnish them. :cry2: That will cause them to look phoney, turn a funny color, peel and look weird. :shock: . :frowns: Use a stain, like a light brown shoe polish or a good oil furniture stain. Clean them up good first, with just wet rags then let dry good before the stain. Then rub the stain into the antlers with cloth.

I'll remember that. Thanks Mnmt

Latest posts