Old house is now history.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Hard to believe that after well over 100 years and being as sturdy built as it was that cigarettes thrown down into a planter would be it's demise.
The fire started in a planter on the porch in the front of the house. It spread out as it went up. Being an older house there was no divide n the studs between the floors and the fire went all the way up into the roof trusses.
An old railroad section house, that was said to have been moved to its current location by horses. It was built with rough lumber and square nails.
Sad to see such a waste but we didn't have the means to try to restore it after the fire damage nor would it have been practical to have tried.
I've seen the house there all the time growing up, it belonged at that time to my grandmother. Now it's an empty lot as of today.
Trying to move forward to a new venture as the rent from that house was part of our much needed income.
We are leaning towards putting a metal building home or a trailer back in its place if we can.
My wife has a vision of using the barn on that property for a wedding barn. She wants to have a road from the eventual house and have carriage rides or tractor and wagon rides to the barn.
My 2 cents idea is to have a few chromed up Longhorns in the field around it if we go that route.
Still considering selling out all together though and heading a ways south too, if things were to line up right. 5B66555D-8106-4DFB-A1C9-CAB1B3C9FC0E.jpeg928FF442-CD0C-41B7-B38C-E24D21B27860.jpegC5AC7EDF-C654-42E1-B028-CE8471156F16.jpeg

If you have a good imagination and like the road less traveled there are some very innovative ideas for grain bin homes.
They can be made almost any size or combination of sizes.

Looks like the building behind was taken down also. That kind of looks like the old house that sat on our property my dad grew up in. It got in pretty bad shape as mostly logs behind the boxing cover. The logs were damaged but I had the old house torn down as it was built next to a big spring and the foundation was in bad shape from being swampy ground. It had two big rock chimneys a guy made a barbecue pit with.

Looks like the building behind was taken down also. That kind of looks like the old house that sat on our property my dad grew up in. It got in pretty bad shape as mostly logs behind the boxing cover. The logs were damaged but I had the old house torn down as it was built next to a big spring and the foundation was in bad shape from being swampy ground. It had two big rock chimneys a guy made a barbecue pit with.
Yes, we had the building taken down too, it wasn't in particularly great shape as part of it was added on by a tenant several years ago.
When the fellow was tearing the house down he found that there was an old well that the back porch had been built over. When my mother inherited that little farm from my grandmother, in the early 90's, it didn't have running water, and the out house stood where the part of that building was. She had water put in and a bathroom built on. As far as I know fireplace was the only heat prior to my mother having electric stoves put in the rooms through some sort of incentive from the electric co op

If you have a good imagination and like the road less traveled there are some very innovative ideas for grain bin homes.
They can be made almost any size or combination of sizes.
We have an old metal corn crib on out the ridge from where the house was. My wife had said something about using it for that, I could see the newer type grain bins that you mentioned being used in that capacity
We live in what was once a gambrel roof style garage, that was remodeled into a house

Hard to believe that after well over 100 years and being as sturdy built as it was that cigarettes thrown down into a planter would be it's demise.
The fire started in a planter on the porch in the front of the house. It spread out as it went up. Being an older house there was no divide n the studs between the floors and the fire went all the way up into the roof trusses.
An old railroad section house, that was said to have been moved to its current location by horses. It was built with rough lumber and square nails.
Sad to see such a waste but we didn't have the means to try to restore it after the fire damage nor would it have been practical to have tried.
I've seen the house there all the time growing up, it belonged at that time to my grandmother. Now it's an empty lot as of today.
Trying to move forward to a new venture as the rent from that house was part of our much needed income.
We are leaning towards putting a metal building home or a trailer back in its place if we can.
My wife has a vision of using the barn on that property for a wedding barn. She wants to have a road from the eventual house and have carriage rides or tractor and wagon rides to the barn.
My 2 cents idea is to have a few chromed up Longhorns in the field around it if we go that route.
Still considering selling out all together though and heading a ways south too, if things were to line up right. View attachment 10793View attachment 10794View attachment 10795

Thats a cool idea. ❤ If there isn't any wedding venue in the area they maybe a good money making thing. They are a few here people go nuts for that 💩. A place set up have large enough space for everyone. If you set it up for wedding and the reception afterwards may want check the laws for alcohol and people responsible. Could start small see how it goes add more of it does well.

Thats a cool idea. ❤ If there isn't any wedding venue in the area they maybe a good money making thing. They are a few here people go nuts for that 💩. A place set up have large enough space for everyone. If you set it up for wedding and the reception afterwards may want check the laws for alcohol and people responsible. Could start small see how it goes add more of it does well.
Yes, that's what I told my wife that we would have to look into it about the alcohol issue. just in case. She says she really doesn't want to have receptions here, because of the alcohol and cleaning up after an event like that. We don't drink, and don't really want to be around where it's going on.

Yes, that's what I told my wife that we would have to look into it about the alcohol issue. just in case. She says she really doesn't want to have receptions here, because of the alcohol and cleaning up after an event like that. We don't drink, and don't really want to be around where it's going on.

Research some wedding venue. I know one here requires the people to put a deposit plus do all the clean up. A little alcohol is one thing to have a toast, some beers, when people over indulge and act like fools in my
opinion thats something else. When people forget who they came with, who their married to, or how to behave.

Thanks, yes, researching about some other venues is a good idea. I would think that the folks renting the event, would be supposed to clean up afterwards, but unfortunately, I don't have complete faith that everybody would do what they agree too.
With our short term rental venture, some folks have brought in beer. While I don't personally like that, as long as they stay put and don't cause a commotion, we let it be. We've only had one group that got a little loud. Wife texted the neighbors to see if they could hear it. Thankfully they said they couldn't. We don't want any drunken parties for sure.
I grew up with an alcoholic father, and that was enough of a bad experience to turn me against alcohol.

Thanks, yes, researching about some other venues is a good idea. I would think that the folks renting the event, would be supposed to clean up afterwards, but unfortunately, I don't have complete faith that everybody would do what they agree too.
With our short term rental venture, some folks have brought in beer. While I don't personally like that, as long as they stay put and don't cause a commotion, we let it be. We've only had one group that got a little loud. Wife texted the neighbors to see if they could hear it. Thankfully they said they couldn't. We don't want any drunken parties for sure.
I grew up with an alcoholic father, and that was enough of a bad experience to turn me against alcohol.

Some of them won't. That's why you have them pay a clean-up deposit along with the rent, before the event. If they clean up they get it back. If not you keep it and clean up yourself, or use it to pay someone else to do it. And make it high enough that you don't mind.

Latest posts