Old Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Spotted Owl

Reaction score
Is there a problem feeding old hay. No mold, dust anything nasty just old. We wound up with way more than we needed this year. I don't want to waste it if it's OK to feed it again next fall/winter. So would this years hay work alright for next year also, we will have new stuff next year also.

Thanks

Owl

c farmer

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with feeding old hay, I do it every year. If it is stored outside you will have more waste. If it is inside it should be as good as it was this year.

grubbie

Reaction score
The hay we feed is typically 2 or 3 years old, stored outside and and uncovered. You'll be fine.

Workinonit Farm

Reaction score
No mold or dust? No problem. I started this winter feeding last year's roundbales, stored outside. Little bit of waste from the outer parts, but just fine on the inside. I have fed 2 and 3 year old hay (stored inside) and it was fine. It may lose a little bit of its nutritional value, but it shouldn't cause you any problems.

Katherine

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Research shows good hay stored inside only looses about 1% of its value each year after the first. So 10 year old hay would only loose about 10%. I have fed 10 year old square bales without any problems.

Latest posts