Old hay in barn.

Help Support CattleToday:

SuperDave

Reaction score
I will be filling our barn this weekend with new square bales. My question is what about the old hay that is still in there now and taking up precious space. I have been told that the cows wont eat it and i need to get rid of it somehow. I dont want to burn it either, is it bad to stack good hay on bad? Or is there a good use for these old bales, when i say old i mean prob in the neighborhood of 8 yrs old.

Depends on the condition of mold. If it has no mold, was good quality when put up the cows will eat it even if it is 8 years old. It wont have nowhere near as much nutrition as it once did. It will work as a filler if its still in good shape. Just don't depend on it for any nutrition. If it is a lot of it you can sell to someone planting seeds on a slope. It works good to hold the soil in place and provide a moisture holder to get the seed up.

By being healthy you mean good for them the short answer is not nearly as good as good hay. But if it ain't molded or exceptionally dusty it wont hurt them. It can be used as a filler. If you put it out with good hay they will skip over it to get the good stuff. Then go back to it. Just don't try to make this the major part of their diet.

Agree with Bama..heck I feed out hay that yrs old..BUT, only if it's still in good condition, meaning no mold, rot, or anything that a newer bale would not have.
As far as nutrition...I would say it has near zero... like Bama said, simply a filler. i would feed this out first part of the season, or the very last, when there is still some green grass left, plus you may certainly want to suppliment it with concentrates, such as a good grain.. as far as feeding it out with your fresh stuff? my guess is it will be pulled out, stomped on, or somehow pushed aside. :cboy:

if your barn has a dirt/gravel floor like mine use it for the bottom layer keeping the good hay off the ground

Like Bama said. Feed it first if not moldy or they will get spoiled. I always feed last years hay first.

We do the same.. feed any old hay in the barn before you stack new on top of it! Try feeding it to the cows first! You'd be surprised what they'll eat sometimes.

And if it's as dry there as it is here, they may be happy to get it. :roll:

I do the same - feed last years hay first. Lately I've taken to stacking all my hay and straw on pallets. Sure saves that bottom row. Well worth the extra time and trouble it is to hand stack.

Latest posts