Old Gelding w/swollen genital area

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have "adopted" a 23 yr old gelding and he seems to have a problem with his genital area swelling up. His penis is actually fine and clean but the area around his penis is swollen and now the area in front (on his abdomen) is swelling some too. Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions to bring the swelling down?

[email protected]

It could be a number of things - a good vet check is what I would recommend.

In our area (NE Utah) we've seen some pigeon fever this year, an infection that follows the lymphatic system. Friends had a stud colt that had it and it settled in his sheath. Our older horse just had the usual presentation - mostly in his chest.

> I have "adopted" a 23 yr
> old gelding and he seems to have a
> problem with his genital area
> swelling up. His penis is actually
> fine and clean but the area around
> his penis is swollen and now the
> area in front (on his abdomen) is
> swelling some too. Has anyone seen
> this before or have any
> suggestions to bring the swelling
> down?

> down?

I have an old man in my barnwho will get the symptoms you asked about.Sometimes it will be from him laying in a wet spot (potty spot) and I think that he likes the area because it is a warm spot. If this is the case it will go away on its own if I can keep him out of the area. Also some horses that have white skin will scaled in that area horses like paints' pintos, and appaloosas. Hope that helps a little...Cindy

[email protected]

> down?

Hi, I know this is a bit late, but what the heck. Have you checked his sheath? Sounds gross, but I mean, have you been able to get your hand up in there and check that there's no lumps of gunk? Sounds like he might have an infected sheath... hose out with cool water (he will eventually get used to that, some geldings even like it), treat with penicillian, and yeah, it's not much fun for you or the horse, dig the nasties out of his sheath (lubricating your hand makes it less painful for him). Hope this helps. (This is one of the reasons I prefer to ride mares..no possibility of sheath infection!) To be on the safe side, hope you still contact your vet for the best advice. Good luck.

Latest posts