Old Ford tractor shootout

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a Ford loader tractor at auction later this month. Something between a 5000 and 6610 just for fence work and feeding hay. Any models better than others and what are common problems to look for?

4000 and 5000 are almost bullet proof. My limited experience with them the only issue ive seen is the fuel filter housing and hyd pump issue on one my neighbor has. It could just be that machine tho. I still see a lot of them running

I'd lean to the 6000, just for the HP, and height for loader work with hay.

Don't rule out the 7xxx series, pretty much the same tractor with a turbo and extra fuel tank added. I like the "II" series, 7610 and 7710's myself - the latter has a flat deck and is more comfortable if you're on it for awhile.

The 4000, 5000 and 6600 are all great tractors. I don't think you could possibly get more tractor for the money. Super reliable and easy to work on and unbelievably fuel efficient. I have a 1980 540 which is an industrial version of the 4000. It literally rolled off a truck and I got it for $500. Ugliest tractor in the county but it pulls a '12 haybine and about anything else I ask of it. Love those old Fords.

I saw a 5000 or 6000 the other day with a hard metal canopy, looked factory, and a loader. It was in great shape. I think they wanted $8K for it. If I would have had some loose cash laying around I would have bought it just because.

I should clarify. When I said the tractor rolled off the truck, I didn't mean on its wheels, but off the side into a ditch upside down. Bulletproof.

I'm looking for a new (to me) haybine.. would like to stay with sicklebar in the 9' range.. .. a smaller version of yours would do nicely

I have a 5000 row crop that my Grandfather bought new in 1973. Good tractor for light work. I use it mainly pulling a fertilizer buggy, PHD, 14' Woods clipper that he bought with the tractor.
Sips fuel. I replaced the hyd pump prob mid 90s.

I have a 6610 Ford. In my opinion it's one of the best tractors ever built. It's got plenty of power. I would love to find a 7610 four wheel drive with a cab.

RanchMan90":18perhb1 said:
https://texoma.craigslist.org/grd/6146408684.html This look like a fair deal? Certainly not a bargain but I can look it over better than at an auction. Bank said loan value is $12-14k
Well looks like everything has come together to make it mine :D Just trying not to catch equipment fever now.

RanchMan90":2d57k8dm said:
I'm looking at buying a Ford loader tractor at auction later this month. Something between a 5000 and 6610 just for fence work and feeding hay. Any models better than others and what are common problems to look for?

My 2 most favorite tractors are a jd 4020 and a ford 5000... I have sold lots of ford 5000's and they are one of the best tractors I ever had.. We had one growing up I loved it. The only problems with the 5000's that I had to fix before selling or repair for folks was to do with power steering. The ford 3000 and 4000 seemed to have issues with the PTO but the 5000 didn't have those issues. Ford tractors are some of my favorite tractors. You cant go wrong with either of those.

I have a 67' Ford 5000 (my great grandfather bought it new) and 68' Ford 5000 with a MF 236 loader. Hydro is a little slow but you'll get used to it. Problems have been steering pivot bushing in the front bluster for power assist replaced, leaky fuel filter housing, leaky fuel tank shutoff valve, and couple of brake rod seals. That's about it far as problems. They've been extremely reliable and very fuel efficient.

Latest posts