Old fence removal

Help Support CattleToday:

I've done a bunch of barbed wire on my farm over the years. Found it easiest to take bolt cutters and cut short sections that can be easily handled and piled. I then wire them together and haul them to the metal pile at the dump.

Goes pretty fast.

I've never found an easy efficient way to remove an old fence. Seems like any direction you take, it turns into a lot of work, torn skin and clothing, not to even mention a more than average amount of cussing. Then when you get through you still have a big mess.

Animal Track Farm":27yqe2bn said:
We have put up a new fence on part of the pasture. It is about 10 feet from the old fence which is wood post with very old woven wire and barb wire. I am wondering about an easy way to clean it up. I thought about pushing it up in a pile and burn the wood then haul the wire off to the scrap yard but, I am not sure if that is easy as it sounds. I am looking for any ideas. Thanks!!
Can you rent one of those babe trackhoes with the push blade on it? Dig it up, push it up, dig hole and push in and set fire. Cover hole.

I start on one end with my skid steer. Start pushing and pulling up posts as I head to the other end. Just keep the fence rolling in front of me. When I can't push anymore, I stop, cut the wires, and start a new pile. When piled, dig a hole, burn, and bury. Takes a short afternoon for a quarter mile and you cant tell a fence was ever there.
Just keep everything in front of the loader, may have to backup a few times. I do this with a rubber tired loader. gs

All our fences come out the same way - be they rock, barbed wire, wood rails or whatever.

One trackhoe, high hoe, excavator - call it what you will. Pull it all into a hole and stamp it down and bury it.

Spent 10 days at $1,000 bucks a day a couple years ago - took out about 4-5 miles of fence including countless tandem truck loads of rock bottom fence.

Installed 5 strand electric.

Not cheap but it was fast and effective.

Even took out a couple of old houses and foundations.

Nothing beats a big frigging shovel on tracks!

Bez__

Stocker Steve":2t9zrswn said:
Bez__":2t9zrswn said:
Installed 5 strand electric.

What advantage to you see over a 3 or 4 strand electric fence?

I also have about 200 plus sheep if you count the lambs - and will be up to about half again as many by the end of summer - keeps them in as well.

We do cattle AND sheep here.

Cheers

Bez__

Those rolling pick up magnets do work good, really nice to use after any kind of project that uses nail or staples. I have found that the very best thing to pick them up is a tractor tire, trailer tire, or truck tire. Unfortunately seems like they are able to find them when nothing else can. They even work for aluminum nails when the magnets won't.

Latest posts