old fence removal question

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n

I have an old pasture that I'm reclaiming and expanding. It has an old 4 strand fence around it. The fence is grown up in mostly pine trees that don't have any value and never will. I want to remove the fence and push the old fence row. The new fence will not be going back where the old fence is now. The T-post are still in pretty good shape but shorter than I need.
Would y'all try to salvage the post? I figure most of them have roots wrapped around them pretty tight. Would you just push the whole mess trees, post, wire and all up. Burn it then dig a hole a bury what don't burn. What other options do I have?

Yes. I loaded a wrecked hay tedder and some rusted out pipe and a mangled up hay ring on my trailer a month ago and had to make 4 calls to find a scrapyard even open. They said "4 cents". I said "ok, I have this junk loaded and I'm tired of looking at it so I'm bringing it in". It was 1200 lbs or so and I got $49 or so. Meanwhile, methheads are not discouraged whatsoever by the give away prices.

4 cents is steel price. At least it was a month ago, here anyway. I had a junk air conditioner and I asked the scrap yard how much for air conditioners and they said "4 cents". I didn't load the ac on the trailer with the other 1200 lbs of junk. For my own clarification, when I delivered the 1200 lbs of junk I asked again how much for air conditioners and again they said "4 cents". I loaded the air conditioner on my pickup the next day and pushed it over into the dumpster up the road.

I'll call the scrap yard that I buy new steel from tomorrow and see where prices are at. I understand scrape steel is 4cent but I can't buy "new" steel for 4 cent. If new is down its time to stock up some.

gaprime, what do you mean by the statement about methheads and and scrap metal. I have meth head neighbors who make meth that was raided last week, They are alway bringing in old junk cars, wire , always have a fire burning outdoors, looks like useless junk to me , but they are always working with it.

cowboy43":27tmhkqx said:
gaprime, what do you mean by the statement about methheads and and scrap metal. I have meth head neighbors who make meth that was raided last week, They are alway bringing in old junk cars, wire , always have a fire burning outdoors, looks like useless junk to me , but they are always working with it.

He's probably talking about them stealing anything and everything that they can sell as scrap. It was going on bad around here but haven't heard of anybody getting hit lately.

I'd pull all the wire and posts out with a tractor and chain and bundle it up and throw in the dumpster or bury it, whichever is easier.

Deepsouth":1sxicl5z said:
cowboy43":1sxicl5z said:

He's probably talking about them stealing anything and everything that they can sell as scrap. It was going on bad around here but haven't heard of anybody getting hit lately.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. You'd think at 4 cents a pound they'd find some other source of income. I read in the local paper here last week where two had been arrested and charged with stealing iron works out of cemeteries that they were selling at the scrap yard.

If you have the time and know what metals to separate it's worth a lot more than .04 That's where the meth head has the advantage, he got some spare time on his hands.

LRTX1":ph9nc4do said:
If you have the time and know what metals to separate it's worth a lot more than .04 That's where the meth head has the advantage, he got some spare time on his hands.

And he's working in a higher gear than I normally work too.

I've been watching a guy peel the aluminum off freezer panels for the last two weeks. He's been peeling the aluminum off then taking the four inch styrofoam and busting it in smaller pieces with an axe so he can put the pieces in Hefty garbage sacs. I considered offering him some money for the panels but I was too intrigued watching him to do so. Looks like he has a well thought out plan and I'm taking notes each day. It only costs us $0.50 for each bag at the dump, not sure how much a Hefty sac costs but I'm sure he has it all figured out.

cowboy43":gvjrrqqp said:

Might be burning the rubber off the copper wire- worth more $ or trash off of other metals.