Old Farm Tools for $1000

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
This tool was used for what purpose? (Due to the incompetance of the photographer there is no scale to go by so I have to say its about 2' long)

IMG_3262.jpg

Angus Cowman":29lkhbzq said:
Jo is the end of it square? if it is could it be a wrench for a shut off valve ?

I was thinking wrench also

Its not a wrench and there are two of these. It is made from axles. You would rarely ever use these but when you did it could save you a lot of trouble fishing. (hint)

Not square but round as the bend. Ya'll are in the right tools department.

Ya know when you mentioned fishing, for some reason I thought of t.n.t. My dad used to mess around with that stuff when you could buy it at a hardware store, but I don't recall ever seeing any tool that looked like that laying around.

Jogeephus":14rhni83 said:
Its not a wrench and there are two of these. It is made from axles. You would rarely ever use these but when you did it could save you a lot of trouble fishing. (hint)

Okay were they used to fish the well bucket from the well after someone dropped it in.

Jogeephus":90n5ih7t said:
This tool was used for what purpose? (Due to the incompetance of the photographer there is no scale to go by so I have to say its about 2' long)

IMG_3262.jpg

It looks like a handle for something,lock the tip in, and turn to open, but for what?

From the clues so far, I conclude you use dynamite to bring the Sea Kittens to the surface and this tool to rake them in? But, that thing is awfully heavy. It doesn't seem like an ideal tool for raking fish.

jka300":ijz3uy92 said:
Is there threads on the end of it?

Yes but they have nothing to do with its use.

hurleyjd":ijz3uy92 said:
Jogeephus":ijz3uy92 said:

Okay were they used to fish the well bucket from the well after someone dropped it in.

You are very very close. Another hint. You would use this with a pipe wrench and by having them you would hopefully not have to fish.

A thing you snag a basket off the river bottom with? I've got a much improved version that doesn't require a pipe wrench. :lol2:

Angus Cowman":1ax0qpig said:
Come on Jo just tell us you know we ain't that smart as to figure out these riddles

Ok. They are used when you pull the pump out of a well. You put this around the pipe and it will catch at the joint to keep you from dropping the pump into the well and having to fish it out. It also works as a camming device to help you pull the pipe out of the well. Kinda a unique tool especially being its hand made. I've seen them used once in my life.

dieselbeef":oefj7jbr said:
you got fish in yer well?? do ya just pull em up in the bucket or ya gotta bait em in to catch em

I'm told fishing a pump out of a well takes quite a bit of talent - or luck.

I was thinking it was used to fish broken rods or foot valve out of a pump jack well. Thats why I asked about the threads. We got a tool that looks similar to that, which we use for this task.

Could be the same tool. Never seen it used for anything other than to place over the sleeve of a 4" or 6" well. Placing it around the pipe you can lift the pipe out. When you get a joint out you place the other one beneath the joint to serve as a stop to keep the rest of it from dropping into the well. The tool itslef is too big to fit in any of our wells.

Jogeephus":33dpc0uf said:
Could be the same tool. Never seen it used for anything other than to place over the sleeve of a 4" or 6" well. Placing it around the pipe you can lift the pipe out. When you get a joint out you place the other one beneath the joint to serve as a stop to keep the rest of it from dropping into the well. The tool itslef is too big to fit in any of our wells.

The one we used was a plate of 1/2 inch steel with a noth cut in it that covered the hole and hooked below the coupler. By covering the entire hole it kept clumsy people from dropping tools down the hole becised the lift pipe. We had a well that was 817 feet, sure wouldn;t want to try to fish anything out of that booger.

Latest posts