Old farm pics.

Help Support CattleToday:

IluvABbeef

Reaction score
Picture_012.jpg

Seeding time. Grandpa filling up the seed drill and Sandy makin sure thing's are goin smooth. Sandy was killed by a car in front of my uncle's place a few years ago.

Picture_013.jpg

Spraying the barley crop. This feild was what it was before Grandpa rented it out to the neighboring dairy farmer down the road.

Picture_0142.jpg

Harvesttime, and a good lot of hay to boot for the winter. The two feilds...the one with the bales and the one being harvested, have switched...field w/ bales is now used for silage, and the one harvested is used for forage. I don't think we put in the fence for the new pasture yet in that pic...sure is pretty though. One other thing....that's our old 5488 IH tractor that we've sinced replaced with the 7240 Magnum.

Picture_0151.jpg

Auger fell on the tractor in a wind storm...luckly it wasn't buggered up, dad and grandpa just righted it back to where it was and it was ready to auger up another few hundred bushels of grain...the loader arms too on that tractor have been since repainted a years ago.

Picture_0161.jpg

These summer storms are neat...cloud formation is something else... and have a bad tendency of coming up whenever we finish cutting this feild. Never fails.

Picture_0171.jpg

Another one...this storm had been the cause for tornado warnings around Westlock area, especially north. Lucky it was a false alarm.

Picture_0181.jpg

After a good rain -- double rainbows over the barn. Probably a couple of pots of gold at the end of them, but I didn't look. ;-)

Picture_0191.jpg

Cleaning out some old, dried up manure that's built up over the years. Still got some more to do, only did half of the barn, but now that it's piled up again... :roll: ah well. Good excersize.

Picture_020.jpg

Grandpa working on the swather prior to harvest.

Picture_021.jpg

A lot of bales...and the field's half done, yet.

Picture_022.jpg

Heifer peeking above the tall grass at me...yes, this is a heifer, folks. One year we had backgrounded a bunch of heifers...bought them off of another uncle of mine. Don't know why dad didn't keep with the heifers, they're sure a lot troubleless than the steers...only have to worry about vaccinations and dehorning, no worries about finding stags or bulls, and they're a lot quieter than steers too. Mind you, they fetch a better price, market wise...oh well!

Picture_0231.jpg

Steers getting ready to be shipped out that very morning...I like the one on the far left, he's got quite a bit of ear to him, and they were pretty hairy in the winter. They were all nice animals, all were around 1000 pounds, if I remember correctly, mostly cause they've just been on pasture the past few months, and we had to take them off it the night before this pic was taken.

Thanks, those pics are a bit of a retreat from this white stuff.

It's amazing how much things have changed on that farm over the years...a body don't really notices it until you have a good, hard, close look at those old pictures, and then suddenly say "Oh yeah, I remember that!"