Old diesel fuel

Help Support CattleToday:

I want do this looks nice to me. 🤷🏽‍♀️ what yall think about it?

Better hope no one ever gets close to the house/shed with an open flame or tosses a cigarette butt.
Spraying your house/ shed down with hydrocarbons just isn't passing the IQ test for me.
I am wondering if your insurance would even cover a fire after you created the hazard. In Texas you can't be liable to yourself.

Old diesel with sulfur may have been different. Not to say you can't still use it, I wouldn't be running it in a common rail diesel.
Interesting article, almost sounds like they were trying to sell something....

I know common rail diesels are touchy buggers and i always use good clean diesel straight from the pump on mine. But i have an old lister engine here that sat with full tank of diesel for near on 28 years, and one day we were moving it and cranked the old girl over with the old fuel in it and away she went first go. We changed the oil, belted up a pump and worked it for a few days and never missed a beat. Then it went into storage ready for another day. Been sitting now for 9 years, i should crank it over again and see what happens.

I have a 1086 international I don't use much. Fuel is two to three years old. Runs nice but starts hard. Any additive I can ad?

I am imagining that Minnesota general has high humidity. Diesel that sits in a tractor in a wet environment will attract moisture. There is an algae that grows between the water and diesel. If you attempt to run it, it will screw up your injectors and is a real pain in the butt.

I make sure to drain all the old diesel and check it for water and sludge. I clean the fuel tank, change the fuel filters. I would suggest cutting them open to check them as well. This algae will foul everything. If you do what i suggest and find sludge you will want to clean every little tube, connector etc. since you may have ran that stuff into the works.

I put star tron fuel enzyme in my diesel. I am not trying to plug them. Just saying thats what i use. It will stabilize diesel for 2 years. There are biocide treatments out there but they wont do any good if you have ran the gunk into your powerplant.

Good luck.

no such thing as old deisel, if running hard don't clean up tinker with pump timing
A lot of diesel today is from cracked stock. Yes diesel can go bad from oxidation forming gums.
Any stream not hydro processed is more likely to gum. Coker fuels are notorious for being bad acting.

Attachments

• 29111AEA-AFFB-438E-B932-7903BB15AF07.png
    29111AEA-AFFB-438E-B932-7903BB15AF07.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 4
If humidity or water in your diesel is a issue use a water filter sock in your tanks . They come in various sizes .throw them in your tank hook the cable around your fill spout . Let them obsorb the water ,remove from tank hung up to dry and repeat as needed .
Wix makes them Napa sells the same ones under the Napa gold filter line . I am sure others make them as well .

On diesel fuels that age I would suspect gum formation due to oxidation. Different crudes are better or worse from different regions of the world.
I would use what's in in to kill weeds.
As already suggested replace the fuel add some Power Service diesel kleen and run it.
If it's still hard cranking I thinking injection timing.
Diesel kleen is some good stuff.

😆😅🤣😂🙌🏾 Sorry didn't mean to start drama over diesel. Ya'll just do what you normally do and carry on its not that big of a deal. What may work for you may not work for somebody else, everybody different.🤷🏽‍♀️🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Ive got about 250 gal. in a old sheep's foot roller, Good God in Heaven only knows how long its been in there, I bought the roller used 20-25 years ago,10-12??? years ago when diesel was around $4.00 a gal.here. I set in the shop and looked at that thing, And thought, I've got water traps & 3 micron fuel filters, I can run that fuel. But I chickened out, its still in the roller.

Latest posts