Old cow, young bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
I spent the day watching an old cow get the runaround from the bull. Now this cow had her head up, acting like a spring chicken. She gave him the slip more times than I could count. She shagged him off on every gate, feeder, other cows that she could. She busted one incredible move that I was starting to root for her team! Now I wanted that girl bred, cause she has had some beautiful calves, but In a weird way I was actually proud of her. I left for a couple of hours, came back and there they were taking a nap. I believe he finally got the job done!

Many friends and family members think I need to get a life. Am I crazy? can't help but think this beats TV!

Re:
Am I crazy?
dontknow.gif

I guess it all depends on how you define "crazy".
I once knew a guy who spent 2 years in a funny farm sweeping sunshine off the roof and when they let him out they gave him a letter that said he was not crazy.
Do you have such a letter?
SL

We get teased because our lawn chairs are always out on the fence line, facing the pasture.
We have a young bull and old cow. Young bull pestered and pestered. Old cow finally has enough, turns her head into his shoulder and pushes him against the pole barn. Sounded just like thunder when he hit. He laid off then, for about 10 minutes.....

Dont feel bad Misty, I enjoy watching my cattle quite a bit. I watch their behaviors, and now I have been enjoying watching my new bull out with the others and challenging the old bull for the "ladies" its fun.

Misty, if they were smoking a cigarette instead of napping :shock: ,then I would have suggested professional help.

We are always amazed at the behavior that nature gifts our animals with...yesterday I watched a rooster chase a hen that wanted no part of it, the little gal had some quick moves and could fit through tighter places than he could.
Still haven't figured out the way a pecking order is established in a herd.
Just my two bits worth...Dave Mc

Misty you're not crazy. I love to watch all of our animals. I have been doing this for 30 yrs.
Yes, I do drive my friends nuts,because all I talk about is cows. Since I don't have any grandchildren yet. They have look at pictures of new calves.
Alot of saturday nights, we set in the pasture on the tailgate with a ice chest full of cold ones. It's not long,and we'll have a crowd out there watching with us.

A fine Misty morning here! Since I no longer get to watch that cow/bull show maybe I'll watch the grass grow with this incredibly small amount of rain. Just a couple of thoughts before I get at it.

Sir Loin, I did not receive that letter in the mail today. Maybe I should spend the day watching the mailbox. :lol:

mnmtracnching, I noticed by your posts in the hunting category that you are not so bored. My husband also spends much of Aug dreaming of the fall. He has also got our daughter sufficently jacked up about it that she is plotting how many days she can skip school to hunt! :roll:

That being said, have a great day all and thanks for the mental support :D

MistyMorning":11gywbhz said:
My husband also spends much of Aug dreaming of the fall. He has also got our daughter sufficently jacked up about it that she is plotting how many days she can skip school to hunt! :roll:

A young lady with the right set of prioritys

Misty, Things aren't so bad up here in N MN. Just a little rain now and then. Hope you are getting some rain. I think OK for a kid to spend a day or 2 with their Dad or Mom. School is important, but those kids grow up Soooo fast.

We've got an old cow, who is exactly the opposite of your cow. She ran through a barbed wire fence to get to our bull, and she was bred that day. Nine months later, she had a nice heifer calf. She acts like a "spring chicken" when it comes to breeding.

MistyMorning":2ubjs55l said:
Many friends and family members think I need to get a life. Am I crazy? can't help but think this beats TV!

If you are, you have company! :lol: :lol: Hmmmm, maybe I better keep a better eye out for the nice men with the butterfly nets. :shock:

Misty and Mnmranching, where are you located in MN? How's your moisture situation in your area?

Also, join the crowd. I have far more pictures of cows than anything else combined.

I think we all live this life we live because we love the animals, and outdoors. We have guineas running around our place and those birds can run faster and longer in the hot sun, than any animal I have ever seen. Its truely amazing.

We like the aniamals, as well as the rest of you on this post. I have a picture of one of us, in a car, "herding guineas" !!!!!They had wondered off, the beaten track, headed for the highway. They were new to the farm, not used to being free. They had been penned up by their previous owner. Merry

Aaron":2p7oin7s said:
Misty and Mnmranching, where are you located in MN? How's your moisture situation in your area.

We live around the Grand Rapids area. Dry as a bone here. Had 4 days of clouds and a teaser of drizzle yesterday. We have a cabin by Souix Lookout Ont. Where are you at?

Same here. Dry, dry, dry. 2nd year of this, but at least the dugouts and creeks are full this year. Hay crop is quite a bit better than last year, as some fields barely gave a bale an acre last year.

My oldest sister lives in Sioux Lookout, nice place to visit but would never want to live there.

I'm two and a half hours straight north of you, 45 min west of Fort Frances. Never been in the Grand Rapids area, always end up taking #53 Interstate.

Latest posts